Recently we reported that Monaco midfielder Nampalys Mendy was a target for United.
Described as the ‘next Makelele’ the option of acquiring him on a free transfer looked a clever one. However, neither club nor player, or even agent for that matter, had commented on the rumours; until now.
Speaking in French newspaper L’Equipe, Mendy has stated United are likely to remain a dream.
He said: “This [United] is the club of my dreams, it proves that I did good things, but I want to stay in France. I’ve already made my choice.”
Mendy is currently on holiday in Morocco, and intends to finalise his future upon his return.
L’Equipe claim that their own sources suggest that Mendy has agreed to sign for fellow Ligue One club, Nice, after signing a pre-contract agreement with them ‘months ago.’
At 20, he does not intend to renew his deal at Monaco but denied it was down to the recent addition of Joao Moutinho, and intention to carry on spending, potentially blocking his development.
He said: “It is not because of the competition. That it does not scare me. Everywhere I go, there will be. And it is not the fault of Ranieri. If there was just him, I would have continued. It’s just that many things I disliked in the renegotiation of my contract.”
United will no doubt continue to monitor his development as it progresses in Ligue One next season.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday