Nice defender Jean-Clair Todibo is close to making the move to Manchester United, according to French publication L’Equipe.
The Red Devils were recently interested in signing Benjamin Pavard from Bayern Munich, but a deal did not materialise after Harry Maguire refused to leave the club.
United were planning to recoup funds from Maguire’s departure to West Ham United before lodging a formal approach to sign the World Cup winner from Bayern.
Inter Milan now have a verbal agreement in place for the signing of Pavard, and a transfer will go through once the German champions land a suitable replacement.
Amidst this, L’Equipe report that Todibo is on United’s radar and the Frenchman’s move to Old Trafford is ‘in sight’. He is currently valued at €40 million by Nice.
Todibo’s move to United could still depend on Maguire’s exit
The Frenchman has been one of the best centre-backs in Ligue 1 over the past year. Last season, he completed 57 passes per game with an accuracy of 89 per cent.
He won 2.2 tackles and 4.4 duels per outing alongside 3.1 clearances. The 23-year-old has also impressed with his recovery pace and in our view, he would be an ideal signing.
Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez are the preferred starters for Ten Hag, but the former has been injury-prone. Todibo will have his chance to break into the line-up.
At the price mentioned, he would represent a good piece of business for United, but the big question is whether the club have the funds to purchase him in the coming days.
United were heavily reliant on Maguire’s exit to step up talks for Pavard. As soon as Maguire rejected West Ham, the board decided to pull out of the race for the Bayern star.
With Financial Fair Play concerns, a transfer for Todibo could still rely on Maguire’s exit. It could otherwise depend on United securing sufficient funds from other potential departures.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions