Ngog’s dive — aka a lesson in refereeing conspiracy theories

First of all, observe this visual:

Ngog Dive

That is a dive. Many players dive in the premier league, as well as around the world. Many players win penalties by diving.

This happened at Anfield. Home of Liverpool. Liverpool were down 1-2 to Birmingham. The resulting penalty was converted and they tied the match 2-2.

Yet, Liverpool fans — and indeed, fans of our rivals — will complain about us getting favoured by the refs at Old Trafford.

We also know what happened yesterday at the Bridge, didn’t we?

So what’s the moral of the story: it’s quite possible that all “big four” clubs get favourable decisions from the refs when they play at home.

So next time, think of this — and indeed, yesterday — when someone cries bloody murder at Old Trafford.

That is all.

12 November 2009 at 02:29

@Red Ranter: Great article. Thanks for that RR. I was a big Sebastian Deisler fan and I felt he had the talent to be a Balon D’Or winner had he stayed healthy. A real shame his career ended so soon but thankfully, he is still with us. I also have to ask one question. Why is it that some German footballers choose to step in front of moving trains in order to commit suicide? Enke wasn’t the only one. Very strange.

One aspect to depression that is not discussed is that it often cause the depressed individual not to take his life, but to take the life of others. The recent case of the officer who killed all those people on the Fort Hood Army bas in the US is a prime example. I must be honest when I say that when I suffered from depression, I never ever felt like killing myself but I often thought about exacting revenge on those who had hurt me. In fact I almost did an OJ Simpson on my ex while she was going to school in LA after she had betrayed me. I waited in the early hours of the morning out of her Melrose Place like apartment in LA stalking her and feeling very homicidal. I was lucky though. Not only did she show up that night, all of a sudden it was like something clicked in my head and my sanity came back and a voice in my head asked me what the Hell did I think I was doing. Wake the fuck up and grow up. Are you willing to fry for your hurt feelings and ego. This was two months before OJ did his thing and when he did, I got this cold chill in my body like I had been there and that I knew exactly how he felt. But unlike OJ, my morality and common sense kicked in. Or maybe it was God’s intervention, I honestly don’t know, but trust me, I still get spooked by that incident in my life. I am not ashamed to talk about it as I am actually very proud of how everything turned out.

The reason I bring it up though is that depression can be very dangerous to more than those who are depressed. And even today, I have no like or respect for OJ Simpson but I do have an ounce of sympathy for him because I honestly and sincerely know how he felt the night he performed those terrible crimes. There truly is a fine line between sanity and insanity.

12 November 2009 at 02:59

@Grognard: I think more heads for specialized functions will make them more efficient because they concentrate on specific areas of the pitch. Instead of one man running around and having to observe everything. (The NFL has the replay, but they also have half a dozen referees and line-judges. Sam with baseball.) Having just one ref on the pitch is too much pressure for one human being.

I think errors can be drastically reduced if we have people for specific tasks. This way the few errors that are in fact made by the refs can be challenged by the manager using technology. The reason I don’t advocate everything being solely done based on video replay is because it will drastically slow the game down. I want it used for cases like penalty decisions, for instance, where players anyway waste time arguing with the ref, or direct free kicks within certain striking range. Or red cards perhaps. Really BIG game altering decisions.

12 November 2009 at 03:04

@Jay wire: You can google Giggs boo boys, but you can’t find similar instances for Nani, and Saha. I’m sorry, but you are the only person I’ve heard this from. I know there is a bigger point you are trying to make regarding booing and criticism of players, but I have to say, I hit dead ends when I try to search for instances of our fans booing Nani or Saha. There have been groans, like Stephen said, but I haven’t heard nor read reports of booing.

12 November 2009 at 03:07

@Grognard: Of course, the Lyon system as well as the Brian Clough-Peter Taylor system worked because they have people with a gift that cannot be trained — to spot talent no one else have spotted. Of course, Lyon have this teamwork situation where more knowledgeable people sit and debate and arrive at a consensus. But it still calls for the presence of gifted individuals with a terrific eye for talent. Lyon seem to be blessed in that regard. Also, they bank on French speaking African countries which is a reservoir of fantastic talent and bring them through their system. Just like they did with Essien, Diarra for example. (Of course, Essien is from Ghana which is English speaking)

12 November 2009 at 03:48

@Red Ranter: Of course the perfect system would be an owner who would consult the Grognard on every decision to made regarding a club. Better yet, just hire Grognard and put him in charge of the day to day operation of the club. Maybe some football executive reading this might be bold enough and of course wise enough to say yes, Groggy’s the way top go. In that case, better be nice to me. I reward my friends job opps. 😉 😀 😀 😀

12 November 2009 at 03:50

@Red Ranter: Clough and Taylor. Man that relationship bordered on gay did it not? Those two had great success and were co dependent on each other. It was kind of creepy. By the way, if you haven’t seen “The Damned United” do so. Good film.

12 November 2009 at 03:59

@Grognard: I wanted to read the book first. I ordered it a couple of days ago it’s on its way.

12 November 2009 at 04:43

@Red Ranter: Yep, and not just 2 heads being better than one, but the concept of having a broader view of each situation will go a long way to satisfy the frustrations of players and managers.
    In Rugby, for example, they implemented the video replay and at the same time they cracked down, harshly on player violations and decent.
    In a way it worked because the system and it’s new checks and balances were deemed fair by both sides. It allowed the refs the power they wanted, and the teams a sense of fairness with the decisions they made,

It could be the same in Football, and for the same reasons.
    The refs, will not get respect until their ability to make better judgements is realized, and the teams (managers & players) will not better their behavior until a better justice system is implemented.
    One is conducive with the other, and until the negotiating parties realize this, the impasse will remain.

With reasonable give and take, it will be possible to hold the refs feet to the fire, and also hold managers and players responsible for their outbursts. As it stands right now there is really no fair way to judge the right ane wrong in all this!!

12 November 2009 at 05:52

@Grognard: I agree mate. I mean Doctor’s timely intervention and the will power of the person are the most important things that can support person out of depression. Along with that I think its important how your family and close friends act and help you. I mean they should tender at the same time they should be realistic enough and should not loose there own rationality while dealing with depressed person.
    I mean I still remember the time when my Ex GF left me. I mean I won’t say that I lost my head or got depressed I am too strong for that but when I had a call from local police station saying that my GF has been brutally stabbed in the chest to her death. Can you imagine what might have gone through my head. It was storm that came and struck. But, I should say there were only two things along with the support from family which kept me in shape so much so that I got back to my routine within 48 hrs. And those two things were my strong will to not allow anything to affect me and Man UTD. When I use to be alone and not having anyone to talk to and all I used to get bit depressed and at that time I used to see old manchester united with strongest characters in the game (I have at least seen) like ROY and PS. It me a lot.
    But, I that time I realized that no depression is that bigger than your life you can always find something that can bail you out.
    Now, just like I have a great GF today (even though she is a dipper), great life and Man UTD is doing well, so those days seems long back…
    BTW, basing on your recommendation I have ordered the book from Amazon.. Its on its way…..

12 November 2009 at 06:21

@Onkar: That’s terrible what happened to your GF. And you are so right about dealing with depression. Too bad more people aren’t as strong as you or myself for that matter. I just said to myself life’s not perfect, I’ve been given a bum hand and now I just have to learn to live with it and make the best of it. Not perfect, I still get into melancholy moods but it doesn’t take much to snap me out of it. Sometimes it’s a good movie or a great game, or just a good song or getting together with friends. Life is not perfect but from where I sit, it beats death. 😀

12 November 2009 at 06:35

I should recommend the Football Ramble podcast. It’s fantastic, funny, irreverent and certainly not PC 🙂 Currently it’s number 1 in the UK in itunes. Give it a shot. Worth it.

12 November 2009 at 07:07

@Grognard: Its simple bro.. Finding something which more relevant, more important…. If you can do that, then it will always motivate you to live, live strong and live long….

12 November 2009 at 08:42

@Red Ranter: Nice site RR, thanks.

Everyone, check this out. United need to sign this chick Lambert. This is the kind of Roy Keane stuff we’ve been missing in our midfield. 😆 😆 😆 I want to marry that chick.

12 November 2009 at 09:18

@Red Ranter: Benzema’s father had to BEG Lyon for him to be given a run in their academies!!! 😆

12 November 2009 at 09:29

@Grognard: The site is all good, but subscribe to their podcast. That’s their bread and butter, so to speak. They are all just ordinary fans talking about football, in completely non-PC way and they are pretty funny.

@NicoQB: Well then he’s the exception to the rule then. Lyon’s strategy of driving a great bargain is quite well known I’m sure. They seem to get the best out the transfer market every time. Essien, Diarra, Benzema. I’m sure they’ll then sell Toulalan and still manage to unearth someone new. For a small club to come to dominate French football completely, it’s a great story of how well run clubs can succeed and play the transfer market to its advantage. That was the point I think I was trying to get across.

16. Stephen

12 November 2009 at 13:43

Jay Wire, Thanks for the advice mate but I have been going for about 11 seasons and the odd murmour is hardly booing, you need to get your facts right pal.