Newcastle United want to sign Scott McTominay to boost their central midfield department.
According to the Telegraph, McTominay is open to moving to Newcastle because of his apprehension regarding the playing time at Old Trafford.
The 26-year-old has been a mainstay for United in recent years. Jose Mourinho unearthed the youngster during his time in charge.
Erik ten Hag figured out early that the Red Devils needed to sign a defensive midfielder who can control the pace of the game, something McTominay failed to do.
United went big to get Casemiro to the Theatre of Dreams, who has brought authority and energy to the midfield which was missing for almost a decade.
Manchester United can cash in on McTominay to sign a world-class midfielder
The Scotland international has not been playing regularly under Ten Hag.
Casemiro’s dominance in the number six spot means it is almost impossible for McTominay to replace the Brazilian until the latter is injured or rested.
He does not have the vision or the creativity to play at number 8 or 10 for United. He offers physicality to the team but not the incisive passing ability that Christian Eriksen possesses.
With Donny van de Beek injured for the rest of the season, a January exit for McTominay is not an option.
However, if an opportunity arises next summer, United should try to offload the midfielder to Newcastle at a hefty price.
He is still young, with the prime of his career ahead of him. Getting €30-€40 million would be good business for the Red Devils.
They can use the funds received from this deal to sign a world-class midfielder, potentially Frenkie de Jong who is highly admired by Ten Hag.
A midfield of Casemiro, De Jong, Eriksen and Bruno Fernandes would take them much closer to a serious Premier League title fight.
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest