Newcastle United have intensified their interest in Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson ahead of the summer, The Mirror reports.
The England international was linked with a loan move to the Magpies in January, but nothing materialised beyond the speculation.
However, there are suggestions that he could pursue an exit this summer if he is not assured a starting role by incoming manager Erik ten Hag.
Henderson, who is valued at £20 million, is back on the radar of the Magpies. The Tynesiders are eyeing an upgrade on Martin Dubravka.
Henderson was a regular starter in the Premier League during the final months of last season, and it was anticipated that he could displace David de Gea for the number one role permanently.
However, that has not been the case. Henderson missed the start of the season due to coronavirus and has barely featured since with the exceptional form of De Gea between the sticks.
The Spaniard made several goalkeeping blunders in the past, but has looked his old self this campaign, singlehandedly winning points for United in the Premier League and Champions League group stage.
De Gea has been an undisputed starter this term, but it remains to be seen whether he continues as the first-choice under Ten Hag, who tends to prefer goalkeepers comfortable with the ball at their feet.
De Gea is undoubtedly gifted with tremendous reflexes when it comes to making saves, but his distribution has been average while he has barely made any high claims over the entire campaign.
Only time will tell who will be the club’s number one next term. If Henderson is not assured with regular minutes, it won’t come as a surprise if he leaves the club for good this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest