Newcastle United have held talks with Manchester United over the potential transfer of midfielder Scott McTominay, according to The Athletic.
The Scotland international was an undisputed starter under manager Erik ten Hag at the beginning of the season, but he has lost his place to Casemiro over the past few months.
Barring a suspension or an injury, it does not appear he will displace the Brazilian from the number six role in the league. This could pave the way for a move away from United.
The Magpies have talked about signing McTominay during the current transfer window, but United are clear that they don’t want to lose him midway through the season.
They could, however, revisit his situation in the summer. The Red Devils need to ease their Financial Fair Play burden and could sell him to boost Ten Hag’s spending capacity.
Man Utd have made right decision on McTominay
McTominay was in sublime form at the start of the season. He put in several stand-out displays from the defensive midfield role and kept Casemiro out of the line-up.
However, the Scot eventually had a poor outing against Manchester City in October. Casemiro has since been an undisputed starter for United when available for selection.
Hence, there are no surprises that the £26.4 million-rated star is being linked with an exit. Magpies manager Eddie Howe admires him for his ball-carrying ability, but United don’t want to sell.
The Tyneside outfit are United’s direct Champions League rivals this season and they recently made the decision to recall Martin Dubravka from his season-long loan at Old Trafford.
Ten Hag would not want to strengthen the Magpies’ top-four prospects at United’s expense. Any decision on McTominay should be delayed until the end of the ongoing campaign.
Brandon Williams is also seeking a loan move elsewhere. He currently has Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Tyrell Malacia ahead of him in the pecking order for the full-back roles.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer