Newcastle United are preparing to submit an offer for Manchester United target Goncalo Ramos, according to Correio da Manha (page 13).
The 22-year-old had a fantastic 2022/23 season with Benfica, scoring 27 goals and providing 12 assists from 47 appearances across all competitions.
The Red Devils have been ‘following’ Ramos ‘closely’ in recent months, but Corrieo da Manha report that the Magpies are lining up an approach for him.
The Portugal international currently has a release clause worth €120 million in his contract, but Benfica are prepared to listen to offers of over €80m.
United must beat Newcastle to Ramos signing
Ramos has developed into a terrific contributor of goals in the last 18 months, but he has also impressed with other key attributes such as his work rate and defensive duties.
The Portuguese has excelled with his regular high pressing, and does not shy away from making a challenge. He won five duels and nearly one tackle per game last term.
The Benfica graduate also likes to hold-up play and has the ability to provide key passes.
Ramos, who scored a stunning hat-trick against Switzerland at the World Cup, has all the attributes to become United’s leading striker. He should get better with experience.
In our view, the club must avoid losing out on him to the Magpies this summer.
Eddie Howe’s side already have two top-class strikers in Callum Wilson and Alexander Isak, and adding Ramos to their squad could make them potential title challengers next season.
United, on the other hand, have just one specialist centre-forward in Anthony Martial. The Frenchman scored only nine goals last term after missing a staggering 29 games with injuries.
The Red Devils should show more ambition in the transfer market this summer. We would personally prefer the club to sign Ramos with Rasmus Hojlund being his understudy.
Ramos would most likely choose United over Newcastle if both clubs make an offer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns