Newcastle United sporting director Dan Ashworth has played down speculation linking him with a move to Manchester United.
Changes are expected at the boardroom level once Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s proposal for a 25% stake in Man United is ratified with a sporting director believed to be a priority,
Football director John Murtough is currently in charge of the club’s transfer market activities, supported by cult hero and technical director Darren Fletcher.
However, the duo have come under increased scrutiny, with the Red Devils suffering their worst start to a Premier League season in decades despite splashing an eye-watering sum on transfers during the summer.
United have spent over £1 billion on transfers since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013, but the club has failed to mount a serious challenge for the Premier League title in that period.
Murtough’s appointment has failed to bring about any tangible change to Man United’s fortunes, with Erik ten Hag’s side struggling to bridge the gap between them and the top four this term.
Man United legend Gary Neville recently suggested Ashworth is someone the Red Devils should be targeting after his remarkable stints at Brighton & Hove Albion and Newcastle.
Ashworth is also understood to be admired by Ratcliffe and INEOS, along with former AS Monaco sporting director Paul Mitchell, who has also been touted for a move to Old Trafford.
When pressed about links to Man United, Ashworth told The Mirror: “Same situation as Eddie [Howe], I think. I’m really happy, it’s a brilliant city, club and project.
“I’m thoroughly engaged in throwing myself into all of those things and really enjoying the challenge.”
Newcastle avenged their League Cup final defeat by knocking out Man United in this year’s fourth-round clash and appear to be serious contenders for the title.
Ten Hag’s side responded with a narrow victory over Fulham and will travel to Denmark to face FC Copenhagen in a bid to bolster their Champions League round of 16 chances on Wednesday.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action