A new proposal from European clubs could see Manchester United qualify for the Champions League in future without finishing in the Premier League top four or lifting the Champions League or Europa League titles.
The formation of the European Super League made the headlines earlier last year, but the idea was immediately dropped by nine of the 12 forming clubs amid fierce fan criticism and protests.
It is now reported by The Guardian that several clubs including 10 in the Premier League have proposed two Champions League places to be decided on the UEFA coefficient rankings.
The fresh proposal would mean that clubs qualifying for the Europa League or winning their domestic Cup, could seal a Champions League berth based on coefficient over the last five seasons.
While the discussions are still ongoing over the matter, it may led to fresh criticism from smaller clubs in particular as the ranking will undoubtedly favour the bigger teams in the short-term.
Comparing this season, United would be the first to benefit from such a reform. They are currently the highest-ranked club with a coefficient ranking, lying outside of the Champions League spots.
The Red Devils have experienced a tough league campaign which sees them sixth, four points behind fourth-placed Arsenal, who have a game in hand. With such a reform, their consistency could be rewarded.
Despite having not won any silverware for five seasons, the club have qualified for the Champions League in four of those campaigns while reaching FA Cup and Europa League finals.
Hence, it is unsurprising that United have made the proposal alongside Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal and other European sides.
As things stand, Spurs and Gunners would just miss out on the second Champions League spot based on coefficient to Roma if they fail to secure a top-four league finish this season.
The decision is unlikely to be made anytime soon. If the proposal is accepted by UEFA, it could come into effect for the new Champions League format announced for the 2024/25 campaign.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra