Manchester United are reportedly now keen to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa.
That’s according to a report from Correio da Manha (print edition August 23rd, page 9). They claim that Erik ten Hag is keen to bring the 22-year-old to Old Trafford next summer.
The Dutchman is clearly keen to bolster his goalkeeping ranks at United.
Ten Hag has just been linked with a move to sign Kevin Trapp from Eintracht Frankfurt.
David de Gea has regressed, whilst 36-year-old Tom Heaton is the Spaniard’s back-up after Dean Henderson left to join Nottingham Forest on loan earlier this summer.
And it seems as though Ten Hag has a really exciting option lined up for United in the summer of 2023.
Manchester United want to sign Diogo Costa
Correio da Manha claims that Costa’s agent, Jorge Mendes, has promised Porto a ‘jackpot’ for the goalkeeper in the summer of 2023, with United keen on acquiring his services.
Costa would certainly be a big upgrade on the error-prone De Gea and, despite his tender years, he is very highly rated on the continent.
The five-capped Portugal international has a €60 million (£50m) release clause inserted in his current contract with Porto. It is suggested that he could be signed for less than that amount though, according to Correio da Manha.
Costa has played 71 games for Porto and has conceded 62 goals whilst keeping 29 clean sheets in the process.
He is a very strong shot-stopper and is good with his feet – a prerequisite for any goalkeeper that United sign given Ten Hag’s philosophy of playing out from the back.
We think that Costa would be a very smart addition for United. However, it’s a shame that Ten Hag can’t bring him to Old Trafford this summer rather than next year.
Read also: Manchester United reportedly now want to sign ‘world-class’ 32-year-old.
Stas via Transfermarkt.
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season