Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic is eyeing a reunion with Roma manager Jose Mourinho this summer.
The Serbian has confirmed that this will be his final season at United. It appears he is eyeing a fresh challenge in a new league.
According to Calciomercato, Matic is aiming to reunite with Mourinho, having previously played under him at Chelsea and United.
It is added that the 33-year-old could be available for a price close to zero. An agent close to the Giallorossi is working on a summer transfer.
Matic’s current wages of €7 million per year is deemed ‘a lot’, but the problem could be mitigated by the ‘Italian Growth Decree’.
The Giallorossi may still need to make a deep consideration over the move as Matic is no longer in the prime of his playing career.
Matic was re-signed for Chelsea from Benfica when Mourinho was manager in 2014. Three years later, he followed the Portuguese tactician to Old Trafford.
He was an undisputed starter under Mourinho at United, but his playing time has reduced over the past few years with his limited mobility being a concern.
The move to Serie A could be ideal with the league being more tactical and less intense. Matic would suit Roma with his solid aerial presence and distribution.
The midfielder’s current deal at Old Trafford expires in June 2022, but the hierarchy have the option of extending his stay for another 12 months with a clause.
United’s board may look to trigger the 12-month option such that they can at least receive a nominal fee for the Serbian, who has played 185 times for the club.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final