Outgoing Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic is set to reunite with manager Jose Mourinho at Roma, Sky Sport Italia reports.
Earlier in April, Matic publicly confirmed that he would be leaving the Red Devils following the conclusion of the 2021/22 campaign.
The Serbian’s contract at the club effectively expires on June 30, and it appears he has already chosen Roma as his next destination.
The 33-year-old has agreed terms over a one-year deal with the Giallorossi with the option for another 12 months if he impresses.
The move will see him reunited with former United boss Mourinho. He also worked with the Portuguese at Premier League rivals Chelsea.
Matic was largely in-and-out of the line-up during the first half of last season, but became a regular under Ralf Rangnick from March onwards.
Despite this, he made the decision to part ways with the club, and it was probably the right choice as he may not fit into Erik ten Hag’s plans.
Matic was effective with his overall distribution towards the end of the campaign. He also registered a couple of assists for Cristiano Ronaldo.
However, his limited mobility was there to see. The Serbian is no longer in his prime to keep up with opposition players on a counter-attack.
A Serie A move should be ideal at the current phase of his career. Unlike the Premier League, Italian football is less intense and more tactical.
We have seen former United centre-back Chris Smalling excel at Roma, and Matic could also fare well with his strong physical attributes.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest