Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay came off the bench to grab a late winner in the 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Sunday, and his former teammate Nemanja Matic was impressed.
The Scotland international grabbed his seventh Premier League goal of 2023-24 in style, continuing his impressive performances as no player at the Old Trafford club has registered more league goals.
Those goals have gained Man United an extra 12 points this term – the most of any player in the Premier League.
Without his effectiveness in front of goal, Erik ten Hag’s side would be 12th in the table. However, they are currently in sixth place, six points adrift of the top four.
Matic was blown away with his heroics against the Villans, taking to Instagram to react after the game.
McTominay has come off the bench three times to score important goals for Man United, bagging a brace in the 2-1 win against Brentford after coming on in the 87th minute.
He also netted in the 4-3 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers following his introduction in the 73rd minute before doing the same yesterday after replacing Marcus Rashford with 17 minutes remaining.
No player has scored more goals from the bench than McTominay in the Premier League this season, and he is slowly establishing himself as a super sub.
He has scored more goals in the Premier League this term than the six he scored in his previous three campaigns combined, and the 27-year-old will be hungry to keep doing more for his club.
With the FA Cup the only other competition they are still in, Man United will be desperate to finish the campaign on an impressive note.
Winning silverware and securing Champions League football would be huge for United given their underwhelming start to the season.
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth