Serie A leaders Napoli are aiming to cancel the release clause in Kim Min-jae’s contract amid interest from Manchester United, according to Calciomercato.it.
The South Korea international joined the Italian club from Fenerbahce during the summer transfer window and has since played a key role at the heart of their defence.
The 26-year-old has started in all but one of the club’s games in the Serie A and Champions League and his progress has caught the eye of several top European clubs.
United are one of those interested and have made contact with his representatives. Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid are also known to be keeping tabs on him.
Amidst this, it is reported that Napoli are determined to cancel the €45 million foreign buy-out clause on his contract that becomes active between July 1 and July 15.
The Naples outfit want to avoid losing their prized asset by committing him to a new long-term deal.
Kim Min-jae could be Harry Maguire’s replacement at Man Utd
Harry Maguire is currently excelling for England at the World Cup finals in Qatar but there are genuine doubts over his future with United beyond the ongoing campaign.
The club captain is presently the fourth-choice centre-back in the squad behind Lisandro Martinez, Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof. Erik ten Hag is prepared to offload him next summer.
Min-jae appears to be United’s top defensive target at the moment and they will be hoping that the South Korean snubs the option of cancelling his release clause.
The former Fenerbahce man has won five duels per game for Napoli this season. He has been strong in the air and has also made nearly four clearances per appearance.
Min-jae has also excelled with his tackling and intercepting skills while completing 88 per cent of his passes. Ten Hag could use him as part of the regular rotation next term.
With Raphael Varane’s injury concerns, it is clear that United need another elite centre-back in their ranks. Min-jae would be a bargain signing if they can land him for €45m.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract