The former Arsenal captain had been linked with a £25m move to Old Trafford but, in an interview with Spanish radio Onda Cera, he categorically dismissed the rumours surrounding his future.
After reading Fabregas’ interview, as published in the Independent, the Mirror and the Daily Express, it’s hard to envisage him leaving the Nou Camp anytime soon, which means United might have to look elsewhere for a new midfielder.
“It’s fascinating how some people can invent these things,” said the Spaniard. “I’ve never opened my mouth about this.
“I’m very happy, it’s taken a lot to get where I am and I don’t plan on throwing that away for anything.
“The truth is that if I didn’t feel that I was wanted it would be different, but I haven’t been told anything.
“I’m very happy, the truth is that I want to triumph with Barcelona.
“I’m living a dream, it was my dream since I was a child and I would like to fulfill that by working hard.”
Having given up on the Fabregas and Ronaldo rumours, the Sun today follows up yesterday’s story according to which Borussia Dortmund would be willing to sell Robert Lewandowski to United this summer, rather than seeing him joining Bayern Munich for free at the end of next season.
The tabloid claims that Lewandowski would be offered £90,000 a week at Old Trafford, more than doubling his current salary, which is just short of £40,000 a week. Typically, the Sun offers no reliable source or statement to back their claims up, but they do publish a quote from Lewandowski himself, which isn’t likely to shed light on the matter anytime soon.
“I do not think that this is the final decision and I expect the situation to change. I am enjoying my holiday for now but I hope things move forward pretty soon and the situation changes,” said the striker.
While we are talking about strikers, United have told Chelsea and Jose Mourinho to forget about signing Wayne Rooney, according to the Daily Mail.
The paper reports that “United officials are known to be amused rather than irritated by Mourinho’s blatant courting of the England striker” but they’ll stick with their policy of not selling a top player to a Premier League rival.
Smiles and grins all around then? Well, no if you’re Galatasaray’s chairman, it seems. Sky Sports reports that, after having a £6m offer turned down, the Turkish giants have taken Nani off their list of targets for this summer.
Unal Aysal, the Istanbul club’s chairman, said: “We offered €7million (£6m) for him. But they didn’t accept. We can’t give more than this.
“We are not going to follow Nani anymore. We can’t give more than €7m for him.
“They want €10million (£8.5million). Because of this he is not on our transfer list anymore.”
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach