Connect with us

Manchester United News

Moyes confirms second bid for Barcelona midfielder

Cesc FabregasManchester United’s quest to strengthen their midfield continues, with the club desperate to secure one of their main targets of the summer. Speaking at a press conference in Japan, where United have travelled for the third leg of their pre-season tour, David Moyes has confirmed Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

The United manager said: “I think we made a second offer but Ed [Woodward] is dealing with that personally, rather than me.”

“I think a point does come but I think when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise.

“And I’ll do that. I’ll hope that things can continue to try to move forward.

“At this moment in time I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard to make the deals happen and we’re hoping some of them will fall into place shortly.

United had a first offer, worth £26m, rejected last week as Barcelona deemed Fabregas “non-transferable”, but the second bid is thought to be in the region of £30m, which would be extremely close to United’s transfer record.

City and Chelsea have already strengthen the squad, but David Moyes stressed United fans shouldn’t panic at the club’s inactivity in the transfer window:

” I can understand that, but there isn’t any real update I can give you,” said the United manager.”But I can understand why that might be the feeling.

“But I think everybody had thought this might be the summer – with there being quite a few changes – my new position, other managers at other clubs, and it might be that the transfers are later in the month, and I think that was always the thought I had when I came into the job.

“And you’ve got to remember I only started the job on July 1 as well, so in truth I’ve only been in this job for three weeks at this moment in time.”

Dan