Manchester United conclude their 2017-18 Premier League campaign on Sunday at home to Watford with only a place in the starting lineup for next weekend’s FA Cup at stake.
The Hornets are down in 13th but could finish anywhere between 10th and 15th at the end of the final day.
Jose Mourinho has already confirmed seven starters for the game with next Saturday’s game against Chelsea at Wembley Stadium his priority now.
Here is the team I think we’ll see for our final Premier League game:
Goalkeeper: Sergio Romero
Jose has already confirmed that Sergio Romero will get his first Premier League appearance of the season with David de Gea given a rest after securing the Golden Glove award with his clean sheet at West Ham on Thursday.
Defence: Ashley Young, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Daley Blind
The boss has also confirmed that Eric Bailly will get his first start since the Manchester derby win at the beginning of April. The Ivorian has been dropped in recent weeks and this will only be his 11th Premier League start of the season after previously spending a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Daley Blind is the other defensive starter confirmed by the boss. Luke Shaw started at left-back on Thursday so perhaps Blind will come in for the England international here. Phil Jones should continue from where he left off on Thursday to get him back towards full match fitness in case he is required at Wembley. Ashley Young was rested on Thursday so could come in at right-back with Antonio Valencia getting a rest.
Midfield: Nemanja Matic, Michael Carrick, Paul Pogba
Nemanja Matic didn’t travel down to London during the week so could be recalled on Sunday in his holding midfield role. Jose has already confirmed that Michael Carrick will start his first Premier League game of the season. Paul Pogba has extreme fitness levels so I expect him to make up the midfield trio with Ander Herrera and Scott McTominay making way.
Attack: Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial
Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial have all been confirmed as starters for the final game. If the reports in the media are true then this could be the latter’s final start for us. I think Marcus Rashford for get the nod as the main striker with Martial out on the left wing. This means Alexis Sanchez and Jesse Lingard are rested for the FA Cup final, with Romelu Lukaku out injured for our season finale.
Here’s the team on paper:
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations