Now in the final few days of the winter transfer window, Manchester United continue to be linked with signing a number of players.
Last Monday we made our first deal of January by bringing in Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal in a direct swap for Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
Later in the week we allowed young defender Axel Tuanzebe to join Championship promotion contenders Aston Villa on loan for the remainder of the season.
Following the arrival of Alexis Sanchez we have been linked with a number of central midfielders, suggesting that he will switch permanently to a 4-3-3 formation as we played during our 4-0 thrashing of Yeovil Town on Friday in the FA Cup.
Ander Herrera doesn’t appear to be a regular starter under Mourinho in the long-term, whilst 36-year-old Michael Carrick is expected to leave when his contract expires in the summer, and Marouane Fellaini has also been linked with leaving the club.
Now Italian state broadcaster Rai Sport (as reported by Forza Italian Football) are claiming that we are in talks with Napoli midfielder Jorginho.
The Brazilian was linked with us earlier this season and is a regular in Maurizio Sarri’s side that currently lead Serie A; one point above defending champions Juventus.
Jorginho is a central midfielder who is combative and wins the ball back for the Italian side several times a game even though they often have the majority of possession. The 26-year-old also supports the attack and has already chipped in with two goals and three assists in his 19 Serie A appearances so far this season.
The acquisition of a player like Jorginho would give Paul Pogba much more freedom to support our attack – even more so than he has been doing already in a 4-2-3-1 formation. The article does not provide a price on what we’d be looking to pay the Italian side for the player’s services but does say that we’re looking to make a move before the start of next season.
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return