Micah Richards and Gary Lineker have singled out Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes for praise for his work rate against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
The Red Devils led twice but were pegged back by the visitors and had to settle for a share of the spoils.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe was in attendance at Old Trafford to watch Man United in action, and while the players were far from their best, Richards believes the Portugal international midfielder produced a solid shift in the middle of the park.
“You know who I thought was really good today?” the former Manchester City star asked on the Rest is Football podcast.
“But not really on the ball, off the ball, I thought Fernandes, his attitude was brilliant. There were certain times when Spurs were on the counter-attack and he was running back – he was leading by example.
“I just thought his all-round attitude today was excellent, to be honest.
“He’s always very creative, one of the best creatives in the league. I think when we talk about Fernandes, sometimes he gets a little bit emotional.
“So, sometimes, the quality in his game, we don’t really talk about, but he still sets up opportunities, but it was his work rate that shone for me today.”
Lineker agreed with his fellow pundit, weighing in with his opinion of the Red Devils star.
“I mean he is very talented,” the former Spurs striker said.
“Isn’t he? I mean he’s got a lot going for him. As you said, he can lose the plot occasionally when things are not going well.”
Fernandes has often been criticised for his mannerisms whenever results are not going his way, but his professionalism and work rate can never be questioned.
He was working off the ball against Tottenham, and while he could not contribute to the goals and help Man United pick up all three points, he made up for it with his tireless performance.
The 29-year-old has only scored three goals in 20 league games this term and has to do more in front of goal.
His teammates have not helped matters as he was the most creative player in the league last year with the most chances created (133) and the most created (100) from open play.
Fernandes was also the most hardworking player in the Premier League in 2023 after covering 451.8km, and Man United need to recruit better forwards capable of converting chances.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow