Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana produced a heroic performance against FC Copenhagen in the Champions League at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.
The Cameroon international had been under fire since joining the Red Devils from Inter Milan as David de Gea’s replacement in the summer due to the series of howlers he kept making.
However, Onana redeemed himself with a top display against the Danish side last night, making four saves before stopping Jordan Larsson’s 97th-minute penalty kick.
Harry Maguire had put Man United ahead in the 72nd minute and the hosts appeared to be heading towards their first win of the Champions League group stage having lost to Bayern Munich and Galatasaray.
However, Scott McTominay brought down Mohamed Elyounoussi in stoppage time and Copenhagen were awarded a spot kick. Onana made an excellent save which sent former Man United goalie Peter Schmeichel into wild celebrations.
Former Arsenal star Mesut Ozil was also delighted with the save, taking to social media platform X to react.
Boxing sensation Tyson Fury, who knows one or two things about bouncing back, was also delighted for Onana, taking to the Cameroonian’s Instagram comment section to send him this message.
Onana had often failed to get the basics of goalkeeping right since joining the Red Devils, and manager Erik ten Hag and the fans will hope yesterday is the turning point.
Man United return to action on Sunday when they host Manchester City in the Premier League, and Onana needs to be on top of his game if the Old Trafford club are to beat Pep Guardiola’s side.
He proved his true worth last night and is capable of helping his side secure a much-needed victory against the reigning league champions.
Onana was one of the best goalies on the planet during his time at Ajax and Inter, and he will now be desperate to show that he can be the best in the Premier League.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin