Arsenal star Mesut Ozil appears to be keen to leave the Emirates to join Manchester United, according to reports today.
The 2014 World Cup winner is in the final six months of his contract meaning that he can leave on a free transfer at the end of the season or potentially leave for a cut-price deal this month, assuming he doesn’t sign an extension to his current deal.
Reports suggest that Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain are all interested in the 29-year-old, whom are all free to negotiate with the player as early as this month, ahead of a potential free transfer move in the summer.
However, the Manchester Evening News are claiming that we are Ozil’s preferred choice. Not only could Jose Mourinho be interested in signing a new number 10, but he has worked with the German star in the past, signing him for Real Madrid after the 2010 World Cup.
Jesse Lingard has been impressing in the number 10 role in recent weeks whilst Paul Pogba has played there on occasion this season. Mesut Ozil would give us another option and one that would be excellent at creating opportunities for the likes of Romelu Lukaku, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford.
Given that Henrikh Mkhitaryan has failed to solve any issues in attacking midfield, the Armenian could be flogged in the summer or even this month to make way for Ozil.
Good news for Mourinho, if true, the MEN are claiming that Mesut Ozil would be happy to sacrifice first team football to get his move to Old Trafford.
During his time at Real Madrid under Mourinho, the German international was considered one of the best playmakers in the world.
However, it may be difficult for us to agree a deal with Arsenal this month as they were upset in the manner in which we pinched Robin van Persie back in 2012. Arsene Wenger would no doubt be more interested in selling the player to a team abroad than a Premier League rival.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup