Manchester United are scheduled to face fierce rivals Liverpool in Sunday’s Premier League clash on the road. The Red Devils have endured a mixed campaign where they have struggled to build up a winning run but they are still within five points off the Champions League places.
In comparison, Jurgen Klopp’s side have dominated the proceedings in the top-flight with 20 wins from 21 games this term with their only drop in points resulting from the 1-1 draw against United at Old Trafford. United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will definitely take that as a motivation factor as his team look to inflict a first league defeat of the season to Liverpool while enhancing their top-four prospects.
David de Gea has started every league game for the club this term and he will definitely feature in goal on Sunday. The defence should remain unchanged from recent matches. Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Brandon Williams should slot into the full-back positions.Victor Lindelof will definitely partner Harry Maguire at the heart of the backline.
In the centre of the park, the likes of Nemanja Matic and Fred are sure starters with Scott McTominay and Paul Pogba currently on the sidelines with injuries. Andreas Pereira could feature just ahead of the midfield duo as Solskjaer may seek to match the formation of the Reds.
Marcus Rashford remains an injury doubt after the knock picked up against Wolves in the FA Cup third round replay and Solskjaer has offered no assurances over the forward’s involvement. In case of his absence, Daniel James will stand a strong chance of slotting into the left side of the attack.
On the opposite flank, Juan Mata should get the nod over Mason Greenwood and Jesse Lingard on the back of contributing two assists and one goal from the past two appearances. Mata has fared impressively against the Reds in the past with three goals and four assists from 12 league meetings.
Upfront, Anthony Martial will definitely lead the line. The Frenchman has been the second-best contributor in terms of goals for United this season (11) and the onus will surely be on him to guide the club to a victory on enemy territory.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin