Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount would prefer a move to Manchester United over Liverpool if he leaves Stamford Bridge this summer.
Mount is facing an uncertain future at Chelsea, with his contract expiring at the end of next season. Talks over an extension have stalled.
The Athletic’s David Ornstein reports the 24-year-old is ‘leaning towards a move to Manchester United and talks are expected between the two clubs in due course’.
Although Mount is in the final year of his Chelsea deal, the Blues will want at least £60 million to sanction his departure.
Man United should not overspend on Mason Mount
Mount is enduring a difficult season, like all his other Chelsea teammates.
In 35 matches this term, he has bagged three goals and six assists. These are not great numbers for any attacking midfielder.
Erik ten Hag wants a new midfielder in his squad – someone who can be an upgrade on 31-year-old Christian Eriksen.
When it comes to playing visionary passes, Eriksen is better than Mount. However, the England international’s off-the-ball work rate is better than Eriksen’s.
Chelsea must trim their squad this summer after signing a host of players under their new owners.
They will not want to repeat the mistake of letting players leave for free as they did with Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen last summer.
Chelsea will fight tooth and nail to extend Mount’s contract, especially with their incoming manager Mauricio Pochettino viewing the midfielder as part of his plans.
Man United are on the stronger side of the negotiation table and could complete the deal for a knock-down price.
If they play their cards well, they can get Mount on a much lower fee than £60m, as the midfielder could walk out as a free agent after just 12 months.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’