Manchester United have confirmed the signing of Mason Mount from Chelsea in a £60 million deal.
The 24-year-old is one of the most talented players to have emerged from the Blues’ youth academy.
He made over 190 senior appearances at Stamford Bridge since breaking into the first team in 2019.
But with just a year remaining on his contract, Chelsea decided to cash in on him this summer.
After rejecting United’s two previous bids, the West Londoners finally agreed an initial £55m fee plus £5m in add-ons for the young midfielder.
The England international has signed a five-year contract at Old Trafford and will likely be in action during the club’s pre-season fixtures this July.
In his first interview with his new club, Mount revealed that he sees himself as a midfielder who can create and score goals as well as contribute defensively.
He told Manutd.com: “I’ve always seen myself as a midfielder or a number eight that can obviously get forward, attack, try and score, create goals, but also be able to do the other side as well as defend and help the team when we’re under pressure.”
“And that’s obviously a massive focus of mine, being able to come here and help the boys in that situation. And I know what I can bring to this team.”
An exciting signing
Manchester United already have three excellent midfielders in Casemiro, Christian Eriksen and Bruno Fernandes who all performed brilliantly in 2022-23.
However, the same cannot be said about Fred, Scott McTominay and Donny van de Beek who were all poor last term.
Mount is one of the top midfielders in the Premier League and his signing will certainly add quality and depth to United’s midfield.
He is only 24 but boasts a lot of experience playing in the English top flight.
The England ace has mainly been used as an attacking midfielder at Chelsea but he is capable of playing across the midfield.
Mount is highly rated for his tackling and blocking ability, but he can also create and score goals, something the Red Devils struggled to do last season.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action