BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson has stated his prediction for Manchester United’s Premier League trip to Aston Villa this evening.
The Red Devils recently returned to winning ways with a slender 1-0 win over the Villans in the FA Cup third round on Monday.
Scott McTominay bagged an early eighth-minute goal for the club, which was sufficient to ensure their progress at Villa’s expense.
Villa were the better attacking side over 90 minutes, but a combined effort from goalkeeper David de Gea and the defence kept them at bay.
United are now scheduled to visit Villa Park in the Premier League. Lawrenson feels the hosts will come on top with a 2-1 triumph.
He told BBC Sport: “Aston Villa were hard done by when they lost at Manchester United in the FA Cup on Monday night, and I reckon they will reverse that result at Villa Park.
“It is United who have got more problems at the moment, though. I really thought we would see an improvement under Ralf Rangnick.
“Their results haven’t been that bad, other than their loss to Wolves at the start of the year, but their performances have mostly been poor.
“There are obviously some deep-rooted problems inside the club that need to be sorted out.”
United’s performances have been disappointing since the players returned from a two-week gap, owing to a coronavirus outbreak.
They have picked up just four points from the last three league games and can’t afford another setback in the pursuit of the top four.
Just six points separate them from fourth-placed West Ham United with two games in hand, but they need to capitalise on the situation.
Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur above them also have extra games to play, and the Champions League pursuit could go down to the wire.
Ahead of today’s meeting, United have received a big boost with Cristiano Ronaldo, Jadon Sancho and Harry Maguire back in training.
All three could make the starting line-up. Ronaldo should relish the challenge with his excellent league record against the opposition.
He could not make an impact in the 1-0 loss in the reverse meeting but has previously netted eight times in 13 league meetings against Villa.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd very close to signing Frenkie de Jong, transfer likely by June 30
- Man Utd can sign Goncalo Inacio with offer close to release clause
- Man Utd need to offer €10m more as fixed fee to sign Frenkie de Jong
- Gary Neville hits out after Man Utd pay out dividends to shareholders
- Cristiano Ronaldo was offered to Bayern Munich by Jorge Mendes
- Man Utd have made an offer for Leeds star Raphinha
- David Ornstein fancies Christian Eriksen to end up at Man Utd
- Man Utd in pole position to sign Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd interested in Inter Milan defender Stefan de Vrij
- Man Utd offer €65m plus add-ons for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong