Manchester United star Marcus Rashford has urged his teammates to ‘take their chances’ against Manchester City ahead of the blockbuster Super Sunday fixture.
Both teams head into the game on the back of 2-1 victories in their respective previous Premier League game and will be keen to extend their winning streak.
Rashford believes Man United can beat their arch-rivals if they back themselves.
He told United Review (via ManUtd.com): “You have to be confident. You have to trust your own abilities. But you also have to pay them respect.
“We have to be ready for when the little moments arrive in games such as this. We need to take those moments.
“I can see the similarities [to the Liverpool home game last season]. We have the courage and the willingness to fight in every game we play, and we need to pick up the points.
“We need to move up the Premier League table – there’s no time to wait around.”
Marcus Rashford has a big role to play against Man City
The Man United talisman has endured a difficult start to the season, scoring just a solitary goal in nine league games.
Erik ten Hag has kept his trust in the England international and has started him ahead of crowd favourite Alejandro Garnacho.
Rashford is now one of the senior members of the squad. He knows how much a derby win over Man City would mean to the fans.
Pep Guardiola’s side are expected to dominate ball possession on Sunday. This will open opportunities for the Red Devils to counter-attack.
Rashford possesses a searing turn of pace that can cause huge problems for Man City during transitions.
However, he will be up against Kyle Walker – one of the best right-backs in the division.
It is also important for Rashford to create chances for striker Rasmus Hojlund.
The duo need to improve their chemistry on the pitch to solve United’s current goal-scoring woes.
Ten Hag might switch Rashford to the right flank later in the game to involve Garnacho from his favoured left-wing spot.
This can aid the 25-year-old to take on Josko Gvardiol or Nathan Ake, who are not known for their pace.
The Red Devils need their star player to revive his season. A dazzling performance against Man City would be a good place to start.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action