Marcus Rashford has been named as the Premier League’s Player of the Month for September.
September was less busy than usual in the English top-flight. Several games were cancelled following the death of Queen Elizabeth II, limiting clubs to a maximum of just two fixtures. Leicester City were the only exception, playing three.
The forward was included in the shortlist for the prize alongside Kevin De Bruyne, Philip Billing, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Alex Iwobi, and Jacob Ramsey.
Rashford began the month with a trip to the King Power to play Leicester. The game finished 1-0, with the Englishman assisting the winner for compatriot Jadon Sancho.
But it was the following weekend that earned him the award. Up against an Arsenal side with a 100% record, the 24-year-old played a key role in his side’s victory. In the first half, he picked up another assist, rolling the ball through for debutant Antony to finish into the far corner.
And after the break, he got himself two goals. For the first, he raced onto Bruno Fernandes’ excellent through ball before finding the net via a small deflection. And for the second, he tapped into an empty net after Christian Eriksen had unselfishly squared.
This form was expected to earn him a recall to the England national team, having been absent from the Three Lions camp since November 2021. However, an unfortunately timed injury kept him out.
This is the second time that Rashford has won the Player of the Month award in his career. The other came back in January 2019.
Up next for the Red Devils is a derby against fierce rivals Manchester City. It is unclear whether Rashford will be available for Erik ten Hag’s men.
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr