Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford will start for England against Malta at Wembley tonight, according to Sky Sports senior reporter Rob Dorsett.
The Three Lions are currently top of Group C in the qualifiers for the 2024 European Championships and have already secured qualification for next summer’s tournament courtesy of their win over Italy at Wembley last month.
However, only the top five best-performing countries throughout the qualifying campaign will be top seeds for the draw in Hamburg in December.
While four points across both fixtures should be enough, picking up all six points against Malta and North Macedonia would confirm England’s place in the first pot.
Today’s game is crucial for the Three Lions and manager Gareth Southgate is sticking with the Man United star despite his poor form.
He has bagged just one goal in his last 16 appearances for the Red Devils. However, he has scored two goals across the Euro qualifiers for England.
Southgate is not interested in club form when it comes to making his squad selection and picking his starting XI for the nation, with Harry Maguire constantly featuring when he was regularly on the bench at Man United last term and earlier this season.
Al-Ettifaq midfielder Jordan Henderson and out-of-favour Manchester City man Kalvin Phillips are also regulars with England, and Rashford will continue to get the nod as long as he remains in the good books of the Three Lions boss.
The Red Devils will hope the 26-year-old can use his time with the national team to get back to form as they need him to start firing on all cylinders again amid their struggles this season.
They resume Premier League action on November 26 with a visit to Everton before travelling to Turkey to face Galatasaray in a potentially season-defining Champions League group game three days later.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action