Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford is considering his future amid his limited playing time under Ralf Rangnick, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The England international had his best-ever campaign for the Red Devils last term, bagging 21 goals and 15 assists from 57 appearances across all competitions.
However, he has struggled to replicate the showing this term. A shoulder surgery meant that he only returned to action in October. He has since bagged only five goals and one assist in 24 games.
Over the past few weeks, Jadon Sancho and Anthony Elanga have been preferred ahead of him out wide while he has barely played up front. It is now reported that he wants ‘clarity’ over his current role.
Rashford has been short of confidence since the winter break. Rangnick has spoken in support of him recently, but this has not necessarily translated into him earning more minutes.
The 24-year-old was fancied to start up front in the Manchester derby yesterday with Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani injured. However, Rangnick chose to go with Bruno Fernandes in a false nine role.
Rashford eventually got his chance off the bench, but it was to no avail as the Cityzens dominated the proceedings in the second half. United could not muster a single shot following the half-time interval.
The £76.5 million-rated star is bound to be frustrated by his current situation. He was once regarded as an undisputed starter in the line-up, but that has hardly been the case under Rangnick this year.
The situation could change under the next permanent manager, but things are not looking bright for the United graduate as Rangnick has recently acknowledged plans to pursue a younger striker.
With Sancho now considered a regular on the left wing, Rashford’s minutes could be restricted to the right side of attack from where he has struggled to make much of an impact.
However, it would come as a massive surprise if Rashford leaves this summer.
United’s hierarchy have no plans of sanctioning his exit and believe he has the makings of a very top player.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin