Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford is considering his future amid his limited playing time under Ralf Rangnick, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The England international had his best-ever campaign for the Red Devils last term, bagging 21 goals and 15 assists from 57 appearances across all competitions.
However, he has struggled to replicate the showing this term. A shoulder surgery meant that he only returned to action in October. He has since bagged only five goals and one assist in 24 games.
Over the past few weeks, Jadon Sancho and Anthony Elanga have been preferred ahead of him out wide while he has barely played up front. It is now reported that he wants ‘clarity’ over his current role.
Rashford has been short of confidence since the winter break. Rangnick has spoken in support of him recently, but this has not necessarily translated into him earning more minutes.
The 24-year-old was fancied to start up front in the Manchester derby yesterday with Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani injured. However, Rangnick chose to go with Bruno Fernandes in a false nine role.
Rashford eventually got his chance off the bench, but it was to no avail as the Cityzens dominated the proceedings in the second half. United could not muster a single shot following the half-time interval.
The £76.5 million-rated star is bound to be frustrated by his current situation. He was once regarded as an undisputed starter in the line-up, but that has hardly been the case under Rangnick this year.
The situation could change under the next permanent manager, but things are not looking bright for the United graduate as Rangnick has recently acknowledged plans to pursue a younger striker.
With Sancho now considered a regular on the left wing, Rashford’s minutes could be restricted to the right side of attack from where he has struggled to make much of an impact.
However, it would come as a massive surprise if Rashford leaves this summer.
United’s hierarchy have no plans of sanctioning his exit and believe he has the makings of a very top player.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars