Manchester United’s under-21s suffered a humiliating 8-1 defeat against Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday.
The EFL Trophy match was completely dominated by the League One outfit in what was a chastening night for coach Travis Binnion.
The hosts decided the fate of the contest even before half-time, with goals by Josh Sheehan (2), Dan Nlundulu and Gethin Jones giving them a comfortable lead.
The second half saw no reprieve for United as Nlundulu smashed home another within minutes after the restart.
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Nelson Khumbeni and Luke Matheson also got on the scoresheet as the Trotters claimed their biggest victory in 40 years.
The Red Devils pulled one back in the 67th minute through Omari Forsen, but it was no consolation for the visitors.
Bolton also inflicted a heavy 4-0 defeat against United in the EFL Trophy’s round of 16 match last season en route to winning the competition.
Man United’s defeat was extremely disappointing, but the team was weakened with several top players either leaving or promoted to the first team.
Zidane Iqbal, Charlie Savage and Nathan Bishop were sold in the summer transfer window, while Will Fish, Brandon Williams, Alvaro Fernandez and Charlie McNeil departed on loan.
Alejandro Garnacho and Kobbie Mainoo have joined the club’s first-team squad.
However, an 8-1 thrashing at Bolton is completely unacceptable with the team still boasting some quality players.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action