Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is understood to be eyeing a potential comeback with Juventus rather than linking up with manager Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid, Gazzetta dello Sport has claimed.
The 26-year-old endured a mixed 2018/19 campaign with the Red Devils, where he had drawn criticism from both the supporters and pundits for the inconsistent performances through the course of the season.
Pogba found himself out-of-favour with Jose Mourinho during the Portuguese’s final weeks at the club, and though he made a resurgence under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, he could not make much of an impression during the closing stages of the season as United slumped to a sixth-place league finish.
According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Los Blancos boss Zidane has earmarked Pogba as a priority target for the current transfer window, but the French tactician could face competition from one of his former clubs in Juventus.
The same publication reports that Pogba fancies a return to the Bianconeri, though the Serie A holders are not in a position to meet the £134.7m (€150m) price tag, and may have to negotiate a player-plus-cash deal to reduce the valuation.
Pogba has been with the Mancunian giants for the past three seasons and during this period, he has accumulated 135 appearances while winning the League Cup, Europa League and the Community Shield.
The previous campaign saw the best of him with 16 goals and a further 11 assists across all competitions, but he was disappointing between March and May, where he managed just two goals from 13 appearances for the side.
Manchester United make the trip to the Far East for their pre-season tour on July 8 and it remains to be seen whether Pogba will join the squad for the journey amid concerns regarding his commitment to the club.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd