Manchester United have been handed a boost for their upcoming last-16 tie against Real Betis in the Europa League in March.
Betis have confirmed that star midfielder Nabil Fekir has suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury and will miss the remainder of the season.
The 29-year-old has been in fine form, scoring five goals and recording two assists in 19 appearances this term.
His left-footed strike helped the Spanish side to beat United 1-0 in the mid-season friendly in December.
He is a player capable of turning around matches by himself. He came close to joining Liverpool a few years ago.
Jurgen Klopp wanted the midfielder to become a part of his squad but the transfer deal collapsed in the eleventh hour.
Fekir was also a part of France’s squad which won the 2018 World Cup.
Sergio Canales is another creative midfielder at Manuel Pellegrini’s disposal. He will have a huge role to play in Fekir’s absence.
Man United’s hopes of reaching the quarter-finals are boosted with Fekir being ruled out of the tie.
He possesses an eye for a pass but also is a major threat from set pieces.
The Red Devils have conquered the Carabao Cup, ending the six-year-long trophy drought.
Erik ten Hag will have his sights set on winning the Europa League, which would be a great way to end his debut season as United’s manager.
The Red Devils defeated Barcelona in the previous round to reach the last 16.
They face West Ham United in midweek as they strive to continue their progress in the FA Cup.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books