Manchester United have received a major boost regarding the potential signing of Villarreal’s Pau Torres.
As per the Manchester Evening News, the defender is open to a move to United, despite several other clubs showing an interest in the 24-year-old.
The Spain international has a release clause of around €60 million, but the La Liga club are open to agreeing to a player-plus-cash deal.
Manchester City are also keeping a close eye on Torres, with the centre-back interested in moving to England.
However, both the clubs will have to wait to begin their negotiations, with Torres focusing on playing international football for Spain in the summer.
United have been linked with several central defenders in the past few months, with Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and Fiorentina’s Nikola Milenkovic being some of the other names associated with the club.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is in desperate need of bringing in a centre-back, especially with recent reports of Eric Bailly’s unhappiness with the United management.
United have particularly struggled in defending set-pieces over the past few years, despite spending nearly £150m in signing the trio of Bailly, Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof.
The addition of Torres may be the missing link for the club and provide Maguire with a much-needed left-footed partner.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash