Manchester United youngster Mateo Mejia has joined Sevilla on a permanent deal, the La Liga club have confirmed.
The 20-year-old attacker will link up with Sevilla’s youth team after signing a two-year contract, binding him to the club until 2026.
Mejia departed United on a free transfer, but the Red Devils made sure to insert a 25% sell-on clause in the agreement, which guarantees them a significant slice of whatever profit Sevilla makes from a future re-sale.
The Colombian winger was in decent form for United’s youth side this season, notching three goals and five assists in nine Premier League 2 appearances.
Mejia joined United’s academy from Real Zaragoza in 2019 and established himself as a regular, returning five goals and nine assists in 30 games for the youth side.
Despite spending a fair bit of time training with Erik ten Hag’s first-team squad, the youngster wasn’t handed a chance to make his senior debut for United.
Mejia will be looking to make a name for himself at Sevilla. He will also be reunited with former United teammate Hannibal Mejbri, who has joined the La Liga side on loan for the remainder of the season.
The Tunisia international midfielder left United this month to join Sevilla after struggling to establish himself in Erik ten Hag’s first-team plans.
Despite United’s injury woes in midfield, the 20-year-old managed just ten appearances across all competitions while featuring in Ten Hag’s starting line-up just four times.
Sevilla have an option to make Mejbri’s purchase permanent at the end of the season, but they’ll have to stump up €20 million as part of the agreement with United.
Perhaps recognising the talent of the youngster they’ve allowed to leave the club, United have also retained a buy-back clause worth €35m, which will become valid if Mejbri leaves permanently this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow