Manchester United would have signed Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat by now if they truly wanted him, according to Manchester Evening News writer Samuel Luckhurst.
The very mention of his name to one high-profile Man United official on the pre-season tour of the United States prompted them to screw up their face.
The Red Devils have been regularly linked with the Morocco international this summer, but nothing has materialised since, and there are no signs anything is getting closer with less than two weeks left in the transfer window.
Amrabat is out of contract next year but that is not a strong enough incentive, with Man United likely to make a move for Bayern Munich midfielder Ryan Gravenberch instead.
The former Ajax star has been recently linked with reuniting with Erik ten Hag, and he is expected to leave the Bundesliga club this summer as he is unsatisfied with being out of the starting XI.
Ambarat’s representatives are pushing for a move, and he has also been linked with Liverpool.
Man United could do with a combative number six, and while the Moroccan fits the bill, it does not appear he is in the manager’s plans.
The Red Devils have spent £180 million on the acquisitions of Andre Onana, Mason Mount and Rasmus Hojlund this summer.
Although they need to sell players before making further additions, they would not have wasted time signing Amrabat if they wanted him.
They suffered in the middle of the park against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur, with the trio of Casemiro, Mount and Bruno Fernandes struggling whenever Man United were not in possession.
The Red Devils need to strengthen their midfield before the transfer window closes if they are serious about winning major silverware this term, but it does not appear they will be signing Amrabat despite the regular links.
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray