Manchester United will continue their pursuit of Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite the stunning return of Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus this summer.
The Red Devils targeted a new centre-back and right winger during the recent transfer window and landed Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho to bolster those positions.
Ronaldo’s return was not talked about until the final week of the transfer window. United pounced on the opportunity to re-sign him amid speculated interest from Manchester City.
The Portuguese superstar has made an immediate impact on the proceedings with four goals from three matches and looks set to play a vital role in ending the club’s four-year trophy drought.
According to ESPN, the club’s blueprint for next summer has not been altered by the homecoming of Ronaldo, who was purchased with funds outside of the budget.
Haaland remains one of the prime transfer targets, and they are set to compete with their European rivals to prise him away from Borussia Dortmund.
United have been under transition over the past few years, but they now have a squad capable of competing with City, Liverpool and Chelsea for the Premier League title.
There are probably missing an elite defensive midfielder in the starting line-up, and reports claim they could address the concern at the end of the current campaign.
Ronaldo is set to be an undisputed choice up front for the league and European games, but it won’t be a surprise if the club push to land the services of Haaland ahead of next season.
The Norwegian could form a fearsome strike partnership with Ronaldo up front. The latter is used to playing with a similar formation during his three seasons at Juventus.
Haaland contract has a £65 million release clause that becomes active next summer. United will be hoping to lure him to their ranks, but it won’t be a straightforward task.
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain could also be in the mix to pursue his services. United may have to potentially make him the league’s highest earner ahead of Ronaldo to seal the deal.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs