Manchester United are interested in signing Brentford left-back Rico Henry before the summer transfer window closes on Friday, according to the Daily Mail.
The Red Devils will be without Luke Shaw for months after he picked up a muscle injury last week, while Tyrell Malacia is yet to return to full fitness.
Man United have been linked with Chelsea’s Marc Cucurella, Tottenham’s Sergio Reguilon and Barcelona’s Marcos Alonso, and Henry has also emerged as a target.
The 26-year-old is in contention for a first England call-up this week after manager Gareth Southgate watched him and others in Brentford’s season opener against Tottenham Hotspur.
Henry assisted in the game and has featured in every minute of the three Premier League games the Bees have played this term.
He played 37 league games last term, weighing in with two assists and he scored three goals in 34 league games in his debut Premier League campaign in 2021-22.
Former Leicester City manager Dean Smith managed Henry during his time with Brentford and once dubbed the full-back ‘excellent’, comparing him to a young Ashley Cole during their days together at Walsall.
The defender is contracted to Brentford until at least 2026, and tempting the Bees to part with one of their most important players with just a few days left in the transfer window could be difficult.
Diogo Dalot played at left-back for Man United against Nottingham Forest on Saturday, but manager Erik ten Hag wants more cover in the position, and it will not be surprising if the Old Trafford club are linked with more players before Friday’s deadline.
Alvaro Fernandez is also an option, but the 20-year-old has been linked with a loan exit and it remains to be seen if he will stay at the club this season.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns