Manchester United approached AS Monaco today to ask for a loan deal with a non-obligatory clause to buy for France international defensive midfielder Youssouf Fofana, according to Italian transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.
Inter Milan are also interested in a similar deal, but Monaco rejected both approaches as they do not want to let the 24-year-old leave on loan.
Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat remains the top target for Man United, but the Red Devils want to sign him on loan, which has made landing him prove difficult so far.
According to the Telegraph, the Serie A outfit are ready to loan the Morocco international to the Red Devils as long as they include an obligation to buy in any possible deal.
However, it appears the Old Trafford club are not satisfied with meeting their conditions and are exploring a deal for Fofana.
Unfortunately, Monaco are also not ready to let their man leave on loan, and Man United may need to table cash or include an obligation to buy him to have any chance of landing the Frenchman.
The former Strasbourg star has missed just ten Ligue 1 games for his club since the beginning of 2020-21 and has played ten games for France as he looks to establish himself as a regular for the national team.
Fofana is a brilliant interceptor of the ball and has the qualities Man United manager Erik ten Hag wants in a number 6.
The Red Devils boss is desperate to add more steel to his midfield, but their inability to raise further funds through players’ sales has left his club operating with tight UEFA financial control limits.
It is why they are racing to try and secure a loan agreement for a midfielder before Friday’s deadline, but both Fiorentina and Monaco want cash for their stars or an agreement which would see Man United compulsorily activate a permanent transfer at the end of the season.
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions