Manchester United vs Wigan Athletic: Preview

Betfair is the official Manchester United betting partner and we here at Red Rants have partnered with them to offer a free £25 bet when you register. Unlike other betting sites, Betfair allows you to place bets when the game is running and choose the odds at which you want to play. What allows you to do these things is you’re betting against other fans, not the bookie, so if you want better odds than are currently available, for example, you can place an order for a better price (but bear in mind that if your price is unrealistic your bet is unlikely to be accepted). So, give this a run if you’re up for it.

* * *

The games come thick and fast during this time of year and later today Manchester United face off against Wigan Athletic at Old Trafford in their last match of 2009. United find themselves in a favourable position in the Premier League, if they win this match that would take them back to within two points of Chelsea at the top of the table. Considering our form of late and the less than convincing performance over Hull at the weekend, we must look to push on and continue the title fight.

Due to Edwin van der Sar’s absence for family reasons, we wish him and his family well; Tomasz Kuszczak will continue his stint in goal and hopefully continue his fine form.

Wes Brown and Nemanja Vidic both returned from injury against Hull and after assessing their fitness it is expected both will retain their respective places in the United side. Rafael also returned to the side and should start at right-back, while the ever present Patrice Evra will play in his usual left-back slot. The usual list of absentees continue to watch from the sidelines, those being Rio Ferdinand, John O’Shea, Jonny Evans and Gary Neville. Fabio and Ritchie De Laet will again find themselves on the bench.

With the defence slowly returning form injury, this gave Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick a chance to prove their worth in their natural positions. So expect to see them both in a settled midfield line up, Valencia will no doubt play against his former club and Ryan Giggs will continue to gain match fitness after being substituted at the weekend. If Giggs isn’t deemed fit to start then another player short of match fitness, Ji-Sung Park will be given the nod.

Up front we have the usual suspects, Wayne Rooney will look to furthermore make up for the mistake that so nearly cost his team and Dimitar Berbatov should be in line to start once more. Michael Owen is expected to be on the bench once more. It looks like Sir Alex Ferguson will stick with an unchanged line-up, the first time this month.

Since being humbled by Tottenham 9-1 the Latics have come back fighting and proved tricky opponents. Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is optimistic of his side’s chances,

“We know it’s a monumental task but we’ll enjoy it. We’re going to go there and try to nick it. Their home record is outstanding and they’ve got such a big squad but we’re all excited to be going there.” While also showing his admiration for Sir Alex, “It’s a tough challenge but it’s always great to go head-to-head with probably one of the best managers ever in world football,” he said.

Wigan go into the match with no real injury worries, Mohamed Diame is the only player missing. Despite their good performances of late, they are without a win in four. The record in all competitions against Wigan makes good reading for us, we have won all 10 previous encounters, scoring 30 goals and conceding just four. The omens look good indeed.

The main threat will be from Hugo Rodallega; the Colombian has scored seven times this season and has proved to be a key player since his arrival form Necaxa last January. However, they have conceded 39 goals in 18 league games so a clean sheet looks unlikely.

Wes Brown is in a positive mood ahead of the match,

“We’re in a confident mood now and hopefully we can keep that going against Wigan,” he stated “We’ve got a good squad, me and Vida (Nemanja Vidic) are back now and we can hopefully go on a nice little run and keep winning.”

After a tough few weeks it seems as if the wheels are back on, so three points it is.

Prediction: 2-0 United

Probable Line Up: Kuszczak, Rafael, Brown, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Berbatov, Rooney.

* * *

1. Ab Kr

31 December 2009 at 06:02

Wigan’s goal diff is -23, worst in this season so far..

31 December 2009 at 06:20

@Anders: Park is ass wipe.

3. Ab Kr

31 December 2009 at 06:29

@Footy4Eddy: Yeah…they did..

31 December 2009 at 06:43

Very late watching the game, but hey, it was worth the wait! 🙂

OK, Wigan was about as soft as your girlfriends left tit, but we certainly looked like we meant business here.
    Rooney was definitely on his game and dragged the rest of the underachievers to the brink of respectability – hell, even Park looked decent!
    Valencia, having his best game so far, looked dangerous cutting into the box and making things happen.
    Berbatov had a spring in his step and cashed in on Wigan’s generosity. He played as about obsessed as the man could, got himself in the box, and for once, made himself a vital character in our efforts.
    With the back line looking reliable again, Evra got himself back into a game and the twins were awesome in taking the extra step and showing up our CMF for what they have become.

If winning a game in this fashion can spur some inspiration then so be it, lets hope the pre-New-Years-Eve celebration can give us a long hangover into the second half of the season, and perhaps make this team revisit the enjoyable aspect of our game.

5. Aditya

31 December 2009 at 07:08

Valencia’s idea of smiling is showing his teeth.

31 December 2009 at 07:21

Wigan was about as soft as your girlfriends left tit

😆 😆 :mrgreen:

But, yeah agreed with your all assessment totally…..

31 December 2009 at 07:22

@Aditya: Is he doing any TOOTHPASTE commercial.. 🙄 😉 😆

8. Ab Kr

31 December 2009 at 07:35

@Onkar: Hey.. they were expected to be as they did.. but this is the team who have won against Chelsea.

9. Reddy

31 December 2009 at 07:36

valencia and rafael on the right flank will be a good combination.. rafaels crosses looked more dangerous than valencias..

10. Reddy

31 December 2009 at 07:38

@Ab Kr: chelski are shit at defending setpieces, i think wigan cashed on it

11. Ab Kr

31 December 2009 at 07:43

@Reddy: They do shit everytime when they play but still they are on top. Chelsea have the luxury to buy what they want….. but still they can’t win any big trophies like EPL, CL from last three seasons.

12. Aditya

31 December 2009 at 08:39

@Onkar: His teeth are positively yellow. 😀

31 December 2009 at 09:12

@Aditya: You seem to had a close look at it.. 😆

31 December 2009 at 09:14

@Ab Kr: I know that WIGAN did it to Chelsea but then every team has those kind of results isn’t it???? Even we managed to loose against Wolves of all team few years back…

And we have made a habit of loosing to shit teams it seems like for e.g Looserpools… 😆 😆

15. Abhinav

31 December 2009 at 09:38

@Onkar: Yes .. EPL is now getting more unpredictable……… But is is very satisfactory that we win 5-0.

16. Aditya

31 December 2009 at 09:45

@Onkar: Burnley away?

17. Aditya

31 December 2009 at 09:49

@Abhinav: Arsenal are your second team?

31 December 2009 at 09:51

@Abhinav: Yeah.. I think Arsenal is another team which you follow it seems like. Cause that is what is mentioned on your blog where I visited couple of time yesterday…

31 December 2009 at 09:54

@Aditya: Yeah That was dreadful… In fact that was the decider for me after which I literally stopped going through the pain on staying awake till midnight 3.30 and then catching the office by leaving house by 6.45 in the morning with no sleep what so ever. It wasn’t worth… But, since I have watched only two matches and I happy with my selection. One was CL away Wolf and other one was yesterday. All the midnight kick offs I managed to miss. And am I sad about it??? NOT AT ALL…. 🙂 🙂

31 December 2009 at 09:56

@Aditya: Yeah… It seems like he follows Arsenal as the second team.. Because the link with his name takes you to his blog and in that you will find some info about his GOONER following as well. If he is following GOONER as well then he better be careful here for sure… 😡 😈 😈

31 December 2009 at 09:59

@Aditya: Abhinav’s info on this link http://www.blogger.com/profile/10111981926881109024

And link for his Gooner blog

22. Abhinav

31 December 2009 at 10:11

@Onkar: Yeah I do follow Arsenal but Man Utd is my first team…In fact I follow Arsenal because they play good within limited resources.

23. Abhinav

31 December 2009 at 10:12

@Aditya: Yes I also follow Arsenal, because they also play good in limited resources.

31 December 2009 at 10:18

@Abhinav: Even I have good amount of knowledge about what is happening at GOONERS mainly due to my bro.. I have to agree though that play best brand of football as far as EPL is concerned. But, hang on its RED RANTS so be careful here. Some nasty devil in nasty mood may have a go at you…. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

25. Abhinav

31 December 2009 at 10:23

@Onkar: Same with my brother you may check his post in all famous Arsenal Blogs’ like a cultured left foot, gooner talk and others….Thats why I am aslo following them..

31 December 2009 at 10:27

Match report up. Move on to that page for further discussion.

31 December 2009 at 10:32

@Abhinav: Even my brother is quite active on those places. What is the screen name of your bro… And are you from Mumbai there are few around here….

28. CraigMc

31 December 2009 at 10:33

@RM: Not as stupid as YOUR comments mate 🙄

29. CraigMc

31 December 2009 at 10:35

@RM: Oh, and my random use of cap locks are REBELLION mate – so live with it, or skip my posts. Did you send your email to RR by the way complaining about Craig using cap locks? 🙄

31 December 2009 at 10:38

@CraigMc: Ooohhh.. You seem to be in nasty mood bro.. I thought After over night rest you must calmed down.. But doesn’t look like… 😈 😈

31. Abhinav

31 December 2009 at 10:41

@Onkar: Me from Delhi…U people from Mumbai?

32. CraigMc

31 December 2009 at 10:44

WTF does little Mickey Owen have to do to get some games eh? Fergie is so fucking DISRESPECTFUL. He would rather bring on numptees than show Owen any respect. 3 goals in CL game away from OT and still didn’t play, Fergie certainly has his little pets, and Owen seemingly will NEVER be one of them. Oh look RM, I used cap locks to emphasise the words I want emphasised – so SUE me eh? I would use the strong button to keep you free of your pettiness mate, but I can’t seem to get the bloody thing to work – that reason enough for you? 🙄

33. adie

31 December 2009 at 10:47

@Abhinav: please exchange numbrs nd start talkin ova the phone. cut us the misery!! u act as if u are short of frnds!!

34. CraigMc

31 December 2009 at 10:48

@Onkar: I don’t take kindly to folk telling me what I can and can’t do mate – I’m not some sheep to be ordered about! By the way Onkar, I was being HONEST last night, not nasty. What’s up with you mate, you another one who can’t cope with truth that isn’t sugar coated?

35. Abhinav

31 December 2009 at 10:50

@adie: My No 09650453328, Delhi

31 December 2009 at 10:54

@Abhinav: Erm, this isn’t the place mate.

31 December 2009 at 11:04

@CraigMc: Hey… I was just having it light.. I was joking bro.. You know that normally we are on the same page. Actually I wasn’t around last night just read everything today. So, I thought why not just have little dig at Craigy.. Nothing else… I am saying or wish to say how one should behave.. No way.. I like the way you handle things and also like to read stuff when you enter in a fight with some one as long as that some one is not ONKAR … 😆 😆

31 December 2009 at 11:05

@Red Ranter: People are using this place for social networking it seems like…. 😆 😆 😆

39. adie

31 December 2009 at 11:07

@Red Ranter: hahahahaha.. this guy doesnt get my point!! hahahha.. lame!! cant believe he just posted his numbr.. fuck!! wannabe!!

31 December 2009 at 11:08

@CraigMc: You know it bro that I don’t need any sugar coated pill to digest the truth. I am one of very few of us who had guts to go after Fergie’s style of play and all. So, I am good enough to get into hard stuff just that I used wrong smiley while having a friendly dig at you…

31 December 2009 at 11:09