Manchester United vs Vfl Wolfsburg: Preview

The final game in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League is almost upon us and we need one point to finish top of the group. With qualification to the second round already assured, the pressure will surely be off the Red Devils as they make their way to Germany to face Bundesliga champions, Vfl Wolfsburg.

Wolfsburg are a team packed with immensely talented players — most familiar are Edin Dzeko and Grafite, the highest scoring strike partnership in German footballing history.

Most of the headlines in the previous meeting between the pair centred on these two but, in my opinion, the biggest danger to United is Zvjezdan Misimovic, the Bosnian playmaker. He pulls the strings in this Wolfsburg team and last season came away with 23 assists in 36 games, not to mention the 6 goals. This season he has managed 8 assists and 9 goals during the 22 games started.

Former Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins will be unavailable as he has a shin injury that is expected to keep him out until at least the New Year. Other than that Veh has a fully fit squad to choose from.

While the attacking threat is well documented, remember the defensive players at Armin Veh’s disposal. Alexander Madlung, Ricardo Costa and Andrea Barzagli. They are a well-drilled unit and will prove difficult to break down, especially at the Volkswagen Arena.

Manchester United on the other hand have a number of issues, and they are mostly to do with defenders. As mentioned yesterday, we are in the midst of an almighty injury crisis. From defence to attack we are at less than half strength.

Just a reminder, in case you missed it: Wes Brown, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, John O’Shea, Jonny Evans, Fabio, Rafael, Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov, Gary Neville, Edwin Van Der Sar and Owen Hargreaves.

That would leave Patrice Evra as our only recognised defender. It is tough times at Old Trafford. Tomasz Kuszczak will start in goal as he continues his fine form. It looks as if Michael Carrick will be used as a makeshift centre-half along side Oliver Gill, the 19-year-old son of chief executive David. This has nothing to do with his very close ties to the United hierarchy, apparently.

“It doesn’t concern me. If he is good enough, he plays,” Ferguson told reporters at a press conference.

“That is the name of the game at Manchester United. I had my own son in the squad for four or five years and he was treated exactly the same as any other member of the squad. It will be the same for Oliver.”

Darren Fletcher should deputise at right-back.

The shuffling of the defence will definitely have an effect on the midfield selection. Sir Alex Ferguson will have to pick his strongest side if he wants the valuable away point. Valencia, Gibson and Anderson will all start, with either Obertan or Ji-Sung Park given the left-wing berth. He may even decide to play a five-man midfield, as is so often the case in Europe. So Paul Scholes could keep his place in the side.

Up front there is not Rooney, Berbatov or Macheda, thus leaving Michael Owen or Danny Welbeck to fight it out for a lone striker spot, or try to forge a winning partnership.

The game looks very tough considering the Germans need to win to make sure of a second round spot, they will need no extra motivation and Fergie has already hinted they will be enjoying the injury crisis currently engulfing Old Trafford.

“Wolfsburg will be delighted we have so many injuries,” jested Ferguson.

“I know we might come second in the group but I am not sure whether it really makes much difference.”

It may not make a difference, but top spot would give an easier draw in the next stage and the first leg at home, but ultimately we may pay the price for our medical shortcomings.

Prediction: 2-0 Vfl Wolfsburg

United’s 19-man squad for the game in Wolfsburg: Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Foster, Patrice Evra, Oliver Gill, Gabriel Obertan, Magnus Eikrem, Paul Scholes, Darron Gibson, Antonio Valencia, Michael Carrick, Matty James, Darren Fletcher, Ji-sung Park, Anderson, Cameron Stewart, Nani, Oliver Norwood, Michael Owen, Danny Welbeck

11 December 2009 at 22:41

@CraigMc: Does it matter? They are all incompetent bastards. πŸ˜€

11 December 2009 at 23:09

I know RR does not like it when this turns into a music discussion, but I have to echo Grognard’s ramblings here!

Maybe you didn’t listen to the proper Beatles records?
    Magical Mystery Tour is a personal favorite of mine, followed by Abbey Road.
    Pepper obviously, Rubber Soul, White Album… Revolver can be a bit daunting due to its edgier, druggier sound (critics consider it their best nut not me)

Just stay clear of the early twee records la-dee-dah, Can’t buy me love, etc. They may give someone a distorted vision of what are the Beatles.

Oh and Guns and Roses SUCK.

As for “beautiful melodies and hooks I have not found in an act ever since” Grognard, may I suggest Os Mutantes?

Sound and image a bit so-so, but that was the 60s in Brazil..

Oh, and have you tried Pet Sounds?

3. owen

11 December 2009 at 23:29

Villa is the only side who have not been beaten by any top 4 (till last year as it includes POOLS)and definately will be a tough opponent..Their mid field is good and Milner is in top form and will be the main threat alongside Young..I think it will be a 2-2 draw but if David Schiavone gives the preview then we will win as usual with goals from Rooney and Scholes πŸ˜†

4. Darth Red Diablo

11 December 2009 at 23:50

Is it only me who hates green colour in football boots?
    I hate it when they make a boot so good like the T90 3 GREEN! πŸ™ πŸ‘Ώ πŸ‘Ώ

12 December 2009 at 00:46

I started out drawing up a strict list of my favourite records ever, I think I overdid it a bit, cause in the end I felt I could not omit each one mentioned there! Mind you, there’s probably much more!!! 😳

Animal Collective – Feels, Strawberry Jam; Merriweather Post Pavilion
    Arcade Fire – Funeral
    The Band – Self Titled; Music from Big Pink
    The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
    The Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour; Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band; Self Titled; Abbey Road
    Big Star – Third/Sister Lovers
    Blood Sweat and Tears – Self Titled
    Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde
    Brian Wilson – SMiLE
    Brian Eno – Here Come The Warm Jets
    Buena Vista Social Club – Self Titled
    Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Vocal Choir – Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares
    Can – Tago Mago
    Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
    Christophe – Les Mots Bleus
    Coco Rosie – La Maison De Mon Reve
    Cocteau Twins – Treasure
    Daniel Johnston – Yip/Jump Music
    David Bowie – Huny Dory; the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust…
    Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Too Rye Aye
    Dick Annegarn – SacrΓ© Geranium
    Emitt Rhodes – Self-Titled
    Fred Neil – Everybody’s Talkin’
    Georges Moustaki – Le MΓ©tΓ¨que
    GΓ©rard Manset – La Mort d’Orion
    Harry Nilsson – Nilsson Schmilsson
    Heron – Self Titled
    The Incredible String Band – The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter
    Jacques Higelin – Champagne Pour Tout le Monde
    Jerry Lee Lewis – Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (Best live album, EVER!!!)
    Joanna Newsom – The Milk-Eyed Mender
    John Martyn – Solid Air
    Judee Sill – Self Titled; Heart Food (Most talented female artist ever)
    Just Others – Amalgam
    Pixies – Doolittle, Bossanova; Surfer Rosa
    Primal Scream – Screamadelica
    Radiohead – OK COmputer
    Randy Newman – Sail Away
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show – Original Soundtrack
    Santana – Abraxas
    Shonen Knife – Yama-No Attchan, Pretty Little Baka Guy + Live in Japan!
    Sibylle Baier – Colour Green
    Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Water
    The Smiths – Self Titled; The Queen is Dead
    Sparks – Kimono My House, Propaganda
    Stereolab – Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On, Vol. 2)
    Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel – The Human Menagrie
    Super Junky Monkey – Screw Up
    Supertramp – Crime of the Century
    Talk Talk – Spirit of Eden
    Television – Marquee Moon
    Todd Rundgren – Something/Anything?
    Van Morrison – Moondance
    Vashti Bunyan – Just Another Diamond Day
    The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever to Tell
    Yellow Magic Orchestra – Self-Titled
    The Zombies – Odessey & Oracle

12 December 2009 at 01:18

I wish Ruud came back to the EPL and not rot at Madrid…

Could see him at Villa.

But please not pool or Arsenal…

12 December 2009 at 01:32

@Red Ranter: Do you have a hearing disability mate?? πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 01:35

@NicoQB: Mate, you have gained many points in my estimation!! πŸ™‚
    Throw in a couple of Talking Heads albums and you are golden!!

12 December 2009 at 01:42

@Redrich: I expected this response anyway. πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 01:59

@Red Ranter: It’s good to be prepared – takes the sting out of things. πŸ˜€

11. CraigMc

12 December 2009 at 02:01

@Grognard: You got that right mate, well that plus they are all United revengers since the Fergie/Wiley debacle. Wish SAF would leave it alone sometimes – we have enough problems without him bringing all hell on us πŸ™„ By the way, didn’t know I was visiting a feckin music forum – could have sworn a few days back it was a football/Man United discussion forum πŸ™„ .

12 December 2009 at 02:01

@Redrich: Thanks mate. πŸ™‚

For 1 or 2 years I was planning on doing a text list of my favourites, but never got to it…

About the Talking Heads, well I must admit that I *only* listened to 77′ and Remain in Light. And while both of them have golden greats, I think they are not strong enough as “whole albums” to warrant a place in this list. It would mean to have more than half the songs on the record with a 5/5 ratings.

For instance checking my open Itunes, out of 12 songs in Remain in Light, the first four and the next to last are 5/5 and the rest are mostly 4/5.
    Not good enough! But I’m probably being harsh! πŸ˜†

But I absolutely adore the Book I read, Psycho Killer, Once in a Lifetime, Love (Building on fire).

Have any recommendations?

12 December 2009 at 02:11

@Red Ranter: I think the shock comes from the fact that being a Manchester United supporter we would expect all United fans to have the same good taste in music, movies women and literature etc. So your lack of appreciation for the Fab Four is a shock to our collective systems.

You see my good friend everyone is allowed to have differing tastes in life but the two things not tolerated on this blog are United haters and Beatles haters. For those unfortunates its out back by the woodshed for a little corporal punishment. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Are you scared straight yet? Now I want you to write in your book or scribbler “I LOVE THE BEATLES AND JOHN LENNON WAS THE TRUE MESSIAH” 500 times. Sorry but sometimes we just have to put the hammer down. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

12 December 2009 at 02:13

@CraigMc: Yes but we all have universally appealing personalities with multi dimensional interests which we share with equally gifted members of the United community. After all, we are all not one trick pony’s here. πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 02:19

@NicoQB: Of course “Burning Down The House” and “Take Me To The River” are great TH standards.
    You might want to get your hands on a copy of the DVD “Stop Making Sense”.
    It’s a live concert Video filmed in LA in the early 1980’s (4 in think).
    A great compilation and a great video directed by Johnathan Demme.

Cheers. πŸ™‚

12 December 2009 at 02:21

@NicoQB: Good list mate as I have many of those but to hate Guns N Roses and say they suck while throwing back at us Dexy’s Midnight Runners? For shame mate, for shame. πŸ˜› πŸ˜›

In the early 80’s I worked for over a year in a New Wave/Punk night club first as a bouncer and then DJ, so most of my tastes come from that era. Greatest job I ever had because I got laid every night. It’s not always about money. Although I love a lot of 60’s and 70’s stuff I have a great love for Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Bowie, Psychedelic Furs, Yello, Yazoo, Simple Minds, PIL, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Killing Joke, the Stranglers etc. Right now I have about 8000 songs on my iPod and cannot fit the rest. The 80’s was a great time to be alive and hitting nightclubs.

17. CraigMc

12 December 2009 at 02:25

@Grognard: Not one trick ponies I agree Bro – but judging by your age groups quite a few old nags ready for STUD I would think πŸ˜†

12 December 2009 at 02:32

@CraigMc: I’m ready,…. line ’em up!! πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 02:36

@CraigMc: Hey to each his own! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

You don’t hear me complaining about Kimberly Walsh, do you? πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

I know that I can start rambling endlessly when it comes to music though, so I’ll end it there. But I’ll be back with them in the off season!

12 December 2009 at 02:48

@Grognard: Oh I have a good taste in music. I actually have a pretty decent grounding in music as well as dabble in own compositions from time to time. I also play the drums, and have an understanding of chord patterns as well as play the piano averagely in the sense that I can pick out notes of songs I’ve just heard and bridge them up in about 15-20 mins. So I usually understand what I listen to. I’m sure the Beatles are acclaimed the world over etc etc, in mass markets as well as by the critics. They are a cultural phenomenon, no doubt.

They just never caught my fancy. And for that I make no apologies. πŸ™‚

And throughout my life whenever I’ve expressed this contrarian viewpoint to other Beatles fans I get a reaction like an athiest would from a bigoted Jesus freak. πŸ˜€

So I’m used to it.

12 December 2009 at 02:52

@Redrich: I have the DVD, but I have principles, which require me to know most of their major albums before watching a music film. Wlse, I would not know half the songs on the movie, not really enjoying it as much as I should.

But by recommendations I was asking from other great all-time albums, not necesserily TH…

@Grognard: My hate of GnR is very unfair. But logical in a way, I hate the fact that they have legions of fans when more obscure or more deserving bands are broke or struggle to get by. For me basically GnR is a much less talented LedZep, with the esthetism of the bad eighties thrown in the mix.
    And as for Dexy’s, well I find them to be a “feel good” band. Just as you mention Abba being a guilty pleasure, I deem them to be a bit like that, morale boosting or making you getting a kick out of simply living.

As for New Wave – I actually enjoy some it, but moderately. I like synthpop, and post-rock but its just cyclical.
    Punk ditto, but I think I’ve got bored with much of it, I wish most punk bands had a London Calling to their credit and not just 2 minutes songs consisting of three power chords in total.

OK, let’s end this here or RR is going to kick me out of this blog! πŸ˜†

Gotta sleep a bit too!

12 December 2009 at 03:01

@Red Ranter: Being able to play an instrument, even very well, doesn’t necessarily imply having good taste in music!

Exhibit 1: Ingwie Malmsteen (guitar prodigy and blockhead)
    Exhibit 2: Daniel Johnston (poor musician but all time great artist)

I’m just pulling your leg, I have not doubt you’ve got good decent taste in music. πŸ˜‰

23. vanderberg

12 December 2009 at 03:15

@CraigMc: The ref is Martin Atkinson and in 12 Matches he has given 49 yellow cards and red none 😯 . Expect the match to be a yellow card fest.

12 December 2009 at 03:29

@vanderberg: Martin Atkinson is really no different than the rest of them.

He:-

C ant see his hand in front of his face.
    U ses very poor judgment.
    N otices very little.
    T hinks he’s in charge! (hah!!)

What is he,….??? πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

12 December 2009 at 03:30

@NicoQB: Being able to play or compose own tunes however can help you “understand” music, not better or worse, but understand nonetheless. All I wanted to say was I understand music and I’m not a casual flavour of the month listener. I have mentioned a lot of my favourite bands earlier, many of which match with some of the folks on here. Those are proof of my half-decent taste in music. πŸ™‚

It’s just the Beatles that’s all. πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 04:13

@Red Ranter: Must admit it’s unusual to meet someone that doesn’t rate the Beatles!
    Generationally, for me, it was exciting and revolutionary. A new something that swept us all off our feet.
    Times have changed, and I can see that if you wasn’t affected by this, the comparison with the vitality of modern times would make their stuff seem isolated and dated.
    They had little to guide them other than their popularity, but still managed to make statements, musically and otherwise, that have lasted for decades. The quality of their “sound” and the production of their albums are still a standard to held today.
    Without trying to convert an unbeliever, they have certainly earned their chops and would deserve a second, third, forth,…etc. opinion.
    After all it’s not unusual to be persuaded by listening more attentively.

12 December 2009 at 04:25

@Redrich: It’s not a generational thing either because I’ve seen their influences even in people of my age group. After all I love the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc who were all before my time. With music, some tastes just cannot be explained. πŸ™‚

12 December 2009 at 04:51

@Red Ranter: I guess it surprises me that for one who professes so few years, you could lock out such a wealth of musical greatness.
    It’s unexplainable,.. its inexplicable!! πŸ™‚

12 December 2009 at 06:05

@NicoQB: Try;
    Lamb Lies Down On Broadway – Genesis.
    Blow by Blow – Jeff Beck
    Wired – Jeff Beck
    Thick As A Brick – Jethro Tull
    Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells
    Neil Young – Harvest
    Phil Collins Big Band – A Hot Night In Paris
    Robert Cray – I was Warned
    Shawn Colvin – Steady On
    Steely Dan – All
    Tori Amos – Under The Pink
    The Who – Live At Leeds

Just to mention a few.

Rock out bro’ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

12 December 2009 at 06:19

@CraigMc: Stud is the key word in that statement mate. 😎

12 December 2009 at 06:24

@Red Ranter: It’s really quite simple mate….You must die. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I’m sure you have good taste in music because you have mentioned in the past some of the artists you listen to and I am a fan of many of them as well. But it all flushes down the toilet if you do not bow down to the greatness that is the Beatles. The Beatles greatness is such that they are not on a list of the 100 greatest bands because they are excluded due to extreme greatness. The list is really for all the rest. It’s that simple really. But to each his own. Don’t worry RR, we Beatles/United fanatics still love ya. πŸ™‚

12 December 2009 at 06:29

@NicoQB: Hey ABBA is the second greatest selling band in the history of music worldwide. I think they are the choice for guilty pleasure to billions. As for Dexy’s, well Come on Eileen, get with the program? I love Guns N Roses but I wouldn’t put them up there with the great rock bands of the 60’s and 70’s that played similar hard rock. I must say however that if there were two bands that never ever did it for me it would be Led Zep and Pink Floyd. I absolutely love the Who, Stones, Queen and other groups form that era but those two just bored me to tears. Not because they weren’t good, but because they left me cold like the Beatles leave RR.

12 December 2009 at 06:31

@Redrich: πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Too true.

12 December 2009 at 06:33

@Red Ranter: It all cancels itself out when you don’t absolutely love the Beatles. πŸ˜› πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

We should all chip in money here and get a pool going so that we can present RR with a copy of Beatles Rock Band. Problem is I don’t believe he owns a console gaming system. Yet another strike against him. πŸ˜› πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 06:36

@Red Ranter: Very true. After all there are people on this blog that disagree with me. Go figure eh! Also, there are many who do not like Michael Ballack and Juan Roman Riquelme or who don’t love German football. Sad sad individuals. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

12 December 2009 at 06:41

@Grognard: I own an Xbox 360. But I don’ game much. I use it as a media center hub to stream my music as well as play my Netflix movies. I used it more as an entertainment box and less for gaming. Also, lately they got Last.fm music station + movies on demand stream integration on the 360, which makes streaming it over that easy.

37. Rand

12 December 2009 at 07:16

@Grognard: Today’s music is for dogs yeah! Most of it anyway. I’m just 16 and I agree wholeheartedly. I thought music was meant to be played with instruments but nowadays it’s just computer generated synthesizers booming techno music through every single genre. What happened to Pop culture? We get rubbish like Mariah Carey selling her tits instead of music nowadays. What happened to simple and sincere music like from The Beatles. I’m a rap hater too, loved how Oasis (City fans but still, they sound good) turned down the Glatsonbury’s Festival’s invitation because Jay-Z was performing. And Jay-Z had to double the hate by rapping over AC/DC’s Back In Black.

The exception is Rage Against The Machines for me. Bloody “in your face” political rap-rock.

But then again there’s good music still alive in the world. Indie is slowly growing in popularity and I personally find it fantastic, Arctic Monkeys and the lot.

But I still wished I grew up in an earlier era. Then at least I could listen to the radio without cringing at every other song.

38. Rand

12 December 2009 at 07:22

@NicoQB: Yngwie Malmsteen is like a robot. He plays 100 notes per minute but none of them have even 1% of the soul in a note from let’s say, Jimi Hendrix or even B.B. King. Don’t get why Satriani and Vai put up with him.

39. donibrasco

12 December 2009 at 09:00

@Rand: Then Oasis are racist fucks.How do you turn down an invitation because Jay z is performing? The beauty of life is variety. The reason todays music is different is because its what the fans love.Dont get it twisted, it is not the artistes who decide what to sing,they sing what fans want to hear. Try going to a club and listening to the fucking Beatles. If u have fun, you should be superman@Grognard: Your opinion is always stressed as if its from the Bible. Your taste in music is only good to you and a few who believe it but for me i would rank Michael Jackson the greatest ever and there is evidence to that.

12 December 2009 at 09:15

@Red Ranter: Well then it is imperative that you be forced to go through a marathon session of Beatles Rock Band so that you see the light and are born again. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ Repent mate, repent.

12 December 2009 at 09:23

@Rand: Yes it is defintely dark times in music. A famine really. Amazing how little true talent is out there. Just fabricated gangster crap and Boy bands and solo Ho’s boring us to death with their garbage. What I really get a kick out of is those who get mad at me and defend this rubbish by calling me racist. Bad taste has no color, and these days everything out there is nothing bad taste whether it be white yellow, black, brown blue or pink. I have been feeling sorry for the youth now for well over 15 years because when they are old as me they will not have any legacy to pass on to their kids or to talk about the way I do about the Beatles, Who, Stones, Queen etc. Instead they have to shame themselves and embarrass themselves by claiming they listened to the likes of Snoop Dog, Stinkin Park, Lady Gag Me and the scores of other no talents that are infesting the airwaves, nightclubs and Internet. What worries me is the generation that is listening to such rubbish is going to be the generation running the world when I am a senior citizen and dependent on their care and judgement. God help us all.

12 December 2009 at 09:28

@donibrasco: Your free to like whomever you want mate. But I don’t have to like it as you don’t have to like mine. Their is no biblical stress whatsoever. I’m just stating my views on the present music scene. And just for posterity, Michael Jackson SUCKED and was an ass clown pedophile. But hey mate, what ever gets you through the night. I have to live with the fact that I like ABBA and have a guilty pleasure for Moulin Rouge. We’re all flawed somewhat. πŸ˜€

And Oasis are racist fucks and assholes but the real reason to despise them is that they are City fans. United for life.

12 December 2009 at 11:43

@Grognard: Guitar Hero’s for kids and those too lazy to attempt to learn an actual guitar. πŸ™‚

44. Stephen

12 December 2009 at 11:58

@donibrasco: How is it racist to not perform at a Glastonbury because it is known as a guitar event not a hip hop one, that was the reason, people use racism for everything these days.

12 December 2009 at 12:07

@Stephen: Completely agree. Accusing people of racism when unwarranted has become the new racism. πŸ™„

46. Taehr

12 December 2009 at 12:25

‘Michael Jackson SUCKED and was an ass clown pedophile’ yet will go down greater than every other artist that ever lived and will ever live.