Manchester United have already confirmed the signings of Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho this summer.
However, the Red Devils are still looking to bolster their ranks ahead of the 2021-22 Premier League season.
They have brought in a winger and a centre-back but are reportedly attempting to sign a central midfielder now.
United have been linked with West Ham United’s Declan Rice and Rennes’ Eduardo Camavinga.
However, as per reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano, United view Atletico Madrid’s Saul Niguez as a major target.
Romano told The United Stand: “Manchester United are among the clubs that have been in contact with Saul Niguez’s agent.
“They have an interest in the player and consider him one of the biggest opportunities on the market.
“€40-45m will get a deal done, no bid yet.”
Saul is a highly talented midfielder who boasts plenty of experience playing in the Champions League and La Liga.
He played an important role in helping Atletico win the league crown last season, making 33 appearances and scoring two goals.
Paul Pogba’s future at Old Trafford is uncertain, with the Frenchman yet to pen a new contract.
The 28-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to Paris Saint-Germain.
If Pogba leaves the Red Devils this summer, Saul would be an excellent replacement for him.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash