Jonny Evans is in line to be offered a one-year deal at Manchester United after ‘impressing’ manager Erik ten Hag in pre-season.
According to the Belfast Telegraph, Ten Hag has been impressed by Evans’ leadership and ability to play out from the back.
The United boss is also wary of a lack of defensive cover and could hand Evans a contract to remain at the club beyond pre-season.
The 35-year-old initially penned a short-term deal with the Red Devils to cover the friendlies against Lyon and Wrexham.
Ten Hag then asked him to stay for the rest of their tour as United needed more players in training.
Man United keeping their options open
The Red Devils have released Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe this summer.
Eric Bailly is touted with a move to Saudi Arabia. He could follow his former teammates Alex Telles and Cristiano Ronaldo at Al-Nassr.
Harry Maguire is facing an uncertain future after being stripped of the club captaincy the previous month.
West Ham United are interested in acquiring the services of the England international. However, Man United rejected their opening bid worth £20 million.
They do not have any shortage of funds after selling Declan Rice to Arsenal this summer.
United could offload Maguire if Hammers increase their bid to £30m-40m.
Evans is past his prime, and his lack of pace should be a major red flag for Ten Hag and his coaching staff.
Allowing him to leave in 2015 for West Bromwich Albion was a mistake, but offering him a one-year deal would be an even bigger blunder.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns