After the disappointment at the international stage (some might call it a Newcastle-like tendency to expect too much) we return to Premier League action as United take on Villa at Old Trafford and with Arsenal and Chelsea facing relatively easier opponents (Bolton (away) and Boro (home)), the pressure is on the champions to win this game ahead of their CL quarterfinal away leg against Roma.
Aston Villa have taken something of a stumble, losing two games on the trot. On the other hand, Manchester United have been in title-winning form over the last few games, winning the last 5 and not conceding for 300 minutes. I could quote you more stats (we’ve never lost at home to Villa in the Prem) but the long and short of it is – United are on form and at home, Villa are out of form and away from home, and from only that I would point to a 2-1 or 3-1 win tomorrow evening.
But if only it were that easy!
With the Roma game coming up Fergie is likely to rest a few players (Hargo in particular might get rested in favor of Carrick who got a good week’s rest) and some, like Nani, are doubtful because of injury. The team selection is likely to keep all of us guessing till kickoff tomorrow, but considering that we only have 2 strikers, it is entirely possible that only one of Rooney and Tevez will start.
Here’s how our Premier League run-in looks like:
West Ham (h)
The sad thing is – Villa at home is probably our easiest game at least till May, when we have the pleasure of playing the Hammers at home (banana-skin) and Wigan away (4 goal minimum). Squeaky bum time starts now, hopefully this bunch is ready for it.
Van der Sar / Kuszczak / Foster (who knows?), Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo / Park, Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs, Tevez / Rooney
Over to you guys.
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest