Manchester United have rebuffed West Ham United’s loan approach for Harry Maguire.
West Ham are exploring a loan offer, potentially with an option to buy, to bring Maguire to the London Stadium.
The Guardian report that United have rejected Hammers’ proposal as they look to cash in on the defender to raise their budget for the rest of the transfer window.
Maguire faces an uncertain future after being stripped of the Man United captaincy.
He made only eight starts in the Premier League last season and is deemed unsuitable to Erik ten Hag’s style of play.
Maguire is not mobile enough and lacks ability on the ball.
Man United need cash in return for Harry Maguire
Maguire’s stock has nosedived after two poor seasons at Old Trafford.
It will be challenging for the Red Devils to find potential suitors for the 30-year-old.
The former Leicester City man saw his salary increased when United qualified for the Champions League.
His high wages are a stumbling block for other clubs to acquire his services.
United are working with a limited transfer budget and must sell unwanted players in a bid to boost their finances.
Sending Maguire out on loan does not help their quest to raise funds.
Finding a new club this summer is also pivotal for the defender. England manager Gareth Southgate has warned Maguire he risks losing his spot in the 2024 European Championship if he is not playing.
A permanent move to West Ham would suit the defender. David Moyes’defendsdefend as a team, plays on the counter-attack and are not expected to dominate ball possession.
United value Maguire around £50 million but may sanction his exit at £30m.
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract