Manchester United are scheduled to face off against lower league opposition Wrexham in a friendly behind closed doors this week, per Manchester Evening News.
The Red Devils have returned from their tour of Australia which ended in a 2-2 draw against Aston Villa on Wednesday and now prepare for a tantalising clash against Atletico Madrid on Saturday before taking on Rayo Vallecano the following day.
However, Erik ten Hag’s men will first lock horns with Wrexham as they continue their preparation for the upcoming campaign which kicks off with the visit of Brighton & Hove Albion.
Christian Eriksen, who is still awaiting his first appearance in a United shirt, is in line to make his debut while Cristiano Ronaldo could also make a return to action having recently reported for training amid the uncertainty surrounding his Old Trafford future.
Nonetheless, a second-string lineup is expected to be fielded by ten Hag against the Welsh-based National League outfit in Carrington on Wednesday.
Another opportunity for United’s youngsters to impress again
A lot of youth prospects were handed significant playing minutes during United’s visit to Thailand and Australia and some caught the eye more than the others.
Hannibal Mejbri and Charlie Savage were arguably the most impressive, while William Fish had a game to forget after he was sent off barely 20 minutes into his second-half cameo against Crystal Palace last Tuesday.
Mejbri, Savage and Fish alongside the likes of Amad Diallo, Facundo Pellistri and Tahith Chong are all expected to feature on Wednesday in a bid to further stake their claims for a place in the first team.
While breaking into ten Hag’s current plans seems a tad too ambitious for the majority of the aforementioned players, they will also have one eye on securing a favourable loan move to help further their development heading into the new season.
- Manchester United plan to enter the transfer race for Moises Caicedo
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad