Manchester United began their journey in the Premier League 2020-21 season with a 3-1 home defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon at Old Trafford.
Amidst the uncertainty regarding the future of the club and their future in the transfer market, it has been reported that the Mancunian club could strike down a deal for Porto left-back Alex Telles as early as this week, as per Manchester football correspondent of Guardian, Jamie Jackson.
Manchester United are said to have been monitoring Telles for a while. Telles’s current contract with Porto is set to expire next summer. Hence, in the middle of the financial conundrum enforced by the coronavirus pandemic, the Portuguese club want to offload their star full-back in order to pocket some much-needed cash.
Luke Shaw’s injury record makes him unreliable and Brandon Williams is too inexperienced to take the starting role.
United missed out earlier on Ben Chilwell and Sergio Reguilon. Telles’ price tag is reasonable. He scored 13 goals and assisted 12 last season [source: Transfermarkt]. His attacking skillset fits into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s plans like a glove.
In the case of Alex Telles, it is believed that Manchester United could strike a deal for around £18.3 million. This acquisition could prove to be a pivotal addition form United’s perspective, with Luke Shaw seemingly lacking a true competitor for the starting place in the current United group.
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Report: Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest
- Man Utd’s offer for Frenkie de Jong has expired
- Manchester United midfielder Hannibal Mejbri set to join Birmingham City on loan
- Loan Watch: Henderson impresses, Fernandez injured as United struggle to shift out players
- Manchester United confident of signing Frenkie de Jong, £55m up front needed
- Manchester United have just been told to pay £30 million for Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pondering Jamie Vardy swoop