Manchester United are officially back in with the continent’s big boys after winning the Europa League in 2016-17, with the first test of Jose Mourinho’s men next season participation in the European Super Cup.
The Red Devils will face Real Madrid at the National Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, on August 8, in what will be a mouth-watering clash between two of the biggest names in world sport.
United are already scheduled to face the Spanish giants in a pre-season International Champions Cup game in California in July but the Super Cup final will be the first taste of competitive action for the English side next term.
Mourinho’s men deserve to be at the top table of European football and contesting a showpiece game against Madrid will be quite the occasion.
Although the 2017-18 campaign will not be made or broken by victory or defeat, beating a side of Madrid’s stature and ability would be an excellent start to the new season.
Predicting the winner of a pre-season game of this nature can be tricky, with the odds dependant on which star players will feature and the respective sides’ stage of preparation for the new campaign.
As such, for those who would like to have a gamble on the game in order to enhance the chills and the thrills, checking betting sites for updates on news and the most favourable odds makes sense.
An interesting side-plot to the fixture is United facing former favourite Cristiano Ronaldo again, who played such a key role in Madrid winning the Champions League against Juventus recently.
The Portugal international is a worthy Ballon d’Or holder and likely to retain the individual crown this year, with the game giving the Red Devils fans a chance to see the star up close again – and dream of him back at Old Trafford.
While the Manchester club have had a few seasons of mediocrity since the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson, the fixture against Madrid in Macedonia signals the start of a new era where United are set to be pitted against the world’s best and compete consistently for major silverware.
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December