According to Manchester Evening News, Manchester United are expected to go ‘all out’ for a new centre-back and are ‘holding exploratory talks’ with Raphael Varane.
Varane’s future at Real Madrid is highly uncertain as he steps into the final 12 months of his contract with the Spanish giants.
The 27-year-old defender is not keen on signing a new deal with Los Blancos.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez will prefer to cash in on him this summer rather than see him leaving as a free agent in 2022.
The Red Devils are looking to make a bid of £40 million for the France international as they believe that he can perfectly compliment Harry Maguire at the back.
Red Rants View:
With Edinson Cavani extending his stay at the Theatre of Dreams by another year, it becomes imperative for Solskjaer to get a centre-back.
Varane has the experience of playing football at the highest level. In over 10 years of his stay with Real Madrid, he has won four Champions Leagues, three La Liga titles, the Copa del Rey and four Club World Cups.
Not only this, he started every game for France in their World cup winning campaign in 2018.
Maguire’s absence in recent games has highlighted United’s vulnerability in defence.
Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof started against Liverpool in the midweek. The pair were tentative in their decision making and failed to impose any authority at the back.
A defensive stalwart like Raphael Varane will provide more security and help develop a formidable partnership with Maguire.
Manchester United’s recruitment team should take inspiration from their cross-town rivals Man City who signed Ruben Dias last summer.
The Portuguese centre-back is arguably the signing of the season after putting in imposing performances every week for the Citizens.
The Red Devils are great going forward but it is their defence that restricts them to dig out results consistently.
Signing a well-established centre-back in the upcoming window can potentially help Solskjaer to mount a serious title challenge next term.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash