Manchester United are thinking about signing their former player Dwight McNeil from Burnley. United are exploring this possibility if their move for Dortmund star Jadon Sancho falls through.
Lancs Live reports that United are keen on re-signing McNeil and he is on their transfer radar, though a deal is unlikely to happen if Sancho arrives.
Jadon Sancho has been United’s top priority in this summer’s transfer window. The move for the English sensation is still in deadlock, with Dortmund holding out for a fee of €108 million.
United have signed Ajax star Donny Van De Beek to bolster their midfield, but a new winger remains on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s wish list which also includes new defenders.
The team’s injury crisis and lack of depth have made this position crucial for the Red Devils. They also had a bid for Brazilian winger Douglas Costa rejected by Juventus.
This is where McNeil could step in.
McNeil, 20, was released from the Red’s youth academy back in 2014 which resulted in him joining the Claret’s youth ranks instead.
The talented Englishman has since risen through Burnley’s ranks and gone on to become one of the most underrated midfielders in England’s top-flight.
McNeil featured 38 times in all competitions last season for Sean Dyche’s side and has caught the eye for his dribbling and crossing skills.
The winger is currently valued at €22.50 million but Burnley are supposedly holding out for double the price.
This transfer could solve one of Solskjaer’s problems. McNeil is cheaper in comparison to Jadon Sancho and can be used as a power substitute by the manager.
The departure and arrival of Paul Pogba from United to Juventus and back could set a perfect benchmark for the youngster.
- Manchester United: Christian Eriksen’s masterclass helps Denmark beat France 2-0
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September