Manchester United lost 3-0 to Burnley in a behind-closed-doors friendly at their Carrington training base today, according to the Evening Standard.
Jonny Evans, Hannibal Mejbri, Alvaro Fernandez, Scott McTominay, Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek and Facundo Pellistri all started the match but failed to impress against the Clarets.
Man United manager Erik ten Hag handed the fringe players a chance to improve their match fitness, but they did not do much to impress the Dutchman.
The Red Devils are facing Premier League opposition in a friendly match for the second time this month, having defeated Everton 2-0 at their training ground a week ago.
Martial, McTominay, Harry Maguire, Van de Beek, Mejbri and Dan Gore all started against the Toffees, and four of them were given another chance against Burnley as the boss looks to build the fitness levels among those who have not featured in the competitive games.
Man United won their opening Premier League game of the season 1-0 against Wolverhampton Wanderers but lost 2-0 to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
They face Nottingham Forest on Saturday at Old Trafford and will be keen to return to winning ways after the dismal performance at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
The Red Devils will be without Mason Mount as he is out of action until the international break next month due to an injury he picked up in the closing stages of the Spurs game.
They need to strengthen their midfield before the summer transfer window closes, and it appears McTominay has not impressed Ten Hag in the friendly games he has featured in so far.
The Man United boss may be forced to look elsewhere before the end of the market, and while the defeat to Burnley was against youngsters and fringe players, the result and performance are not good enough.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd